Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took off my taillight and looked in the back and clearing it doesn't look at easy as online writeups said. i was going off the 5th gen write up and hoping it'd be similar but i don't see what they're talking about. the writeup basically says cut lines with a soldering iron into the amber plastic so you can break it apart. in a 4th gen light it looks like the amber plastic is part of the whole lens and breaking it would put a hole in the whole thing. those of you guys who have done this, what did you do? if no one has good recommendations i'm just going to end up buying alteezas and spraying them to get the same look. but why do that when clearing it could be free?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
5th gens are much easier than 4th gens... using a write up for a 5th gen would get you no where.

without going into a big long paragraph... put it in the oven for 2 minutes at 250, take it out, and pry the black part away from the red part. after you've completely seperated the pieces (you may need to put it back in the oven every few minutes) you'll see the piece you need to take out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When i did mine i found it easier to use a heatgun to separate the black housing away from the acutally taillight. The heatgun was easier because you direct where and how much heat to use, with an oven you might have the possiblity to melt or do some damage to the light. After you get the taillight apart, you just take like the end of a screwdriver and pop the amber piece out. Then after that you just make an almost identical piece out of fluorescent light cover (the one in most office buildings that cover the lights) and then just find a way to glue it in there. I used silicone to get my piece to stay firmly in where the older amber piece used to be. If you have any more questions, ill be glad to help. Good luck, and post some pics when done!!

-Gene

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
^^^ true, i melted one of mine :D but i think its easier with the oven. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts