Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned on my pc as usual and my computer starts freezing all of the sudden for a few seconds. It starts loading something and i hear a unusual clicking noise, then it goes back to normal and it happens every so often since the last 30 minutes. does this mean the hard drive is on its way out??

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You might wanna do a complete scandisk in dos but you'll probably have to replace it soon. That clicking noise is almost the same thing as when a cd skips. Its trying to read a part of the harddrive that is damaged on the surface, thats why it freezes for a while. Sometimes it will be totally fucked and sometimes it will just stay that way for a long time. But its gets annoyin and i suggest you replace the drive if it continues to do that.

o yeah, and welcome to SHO

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
commonly called the "click of death" do that scandisk and start thinking about a new HD so you can transfer data while you still can. It's an early warning sign, which could either progress towards a rapid HD death within days, or plug along for some time and not give you any more trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well now it doesnt even go into windows after i did diskcleanup so i guess the hd is gone. it says hardware error. just lost music and vids which i can download again after i get a new hd. so which hd do you recommend under $100?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you can't spit without hitting a good HD for under $100. Just go to newegg.com and go crazy

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have a faulty hard drive that probably once an hour it skips and locks up for about 1 second then CLICK and it unfreezes :lol POS but ive had it a year like that and it still works. Im not overly concerned i have all my info backed up :)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
tqhx said:
I have a faulty hard drive that probably once an hour it skips and locks up for about 1 second then CLICK and it unfreezes :lol POS but ive had it a year like that and it still works. Im not overly concerned i have all my info backed up :)
:tu its always good to have a backup drive

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
goto the manf website and d/l the diagnostic and you can find out why the drive is failing or there may be an option to relocate defects. you can even write zeros to the drive, although writing zeros is not good,, the drive is thrashed anyways, so why not??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts