Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was changing the oil this eve, when I took the drain plug off the washer fell in the collector pan.... not realizing this, i ended up putting the drain plug back in w/out the washer and filled up on the new oil + filter.

I found the washer afterwards... anyways, the drain plug is on nice and tight... can i expect any leaking during the next 3-4 thousand kilometers or should i be ok??

must have been high on the fumes from the old oil or something... :mad

And i dont feel like draining it for the washer.... i put some good stuff in there too... Mobil 1 synth. + Lucas oil stabilizer... :bash

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
manalishi said:
you should of checked to see if you had any leaks after you finished the job and started/stopped your car. if you didnt, i would. if you dont see any leaks then, i wouldnt be worried.
Well i took it around the block... and i didnt see any leaks yet... but it was kinda cold tonight also...

Im thinking maybe when it gets a lil warmer and after a long drive when the oil's a bit thinner i might....

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
why dont you just put a clean bucket under your car, take the bolt off, quickly plug the hole with your thumb, install washer onto bolt with free hand, quickly remove your thumb, install bolt now with washer, tighten, pour oil that just fell out into your engine?

im about to do an oil change tomorrow before i go to a dyno day :aww we're about to see how much power an h22 tranny frees up vs an h23 tranny. + a highflow cat :ninja

i expect 2whp lol.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
the washer isnt that important in fact i havent been using one for about a year now...my engine leaks, but not from there :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigz187 said:
just so you know, lucas products suck ass, at high RPM's the Lucas begins to foam up :mad

Yeah, im not too impressed with it after a couple of days of driving with it...

It looks and feels really thick.. especially tonight since it was really cold when i left work... the first few KM's felt really odd and rough.... i heard alot of wierd clicking and ticking sounds...

I think im gonna dilute it a bit with a can or two of 0w30. and put on my washer while im at it.. :rolleyes

expensive fuckin oil change though.....

·
Registered
453 Posts
price of washer .10 cents.

But look on the bright side, its not friday night at 12 oclock with your girlfriend driving back from the beach in a desolate area of the highway when you noticed a burning oil smell and then your oil pressure light comes on only to fine out you lost all your oil in your motor. (true story)

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
the washer is a drain plug gasket..ull probraly get away with not changing it this time. even if it leaks it wouldnt be so bad. just wait till next chance and replace the gasket

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, i agree ^^^

At your next oil change get that washer at any auto parts store and replace it...it will leak, well, more like drip...if that doesnt bother you, then it's all gravy.

Bytheyway, FYI - Mobil 1 synthetic burns the most oil. My friend has a 5th gen and used that...that burned sooo much oil. If you dont believe me, read the reviews...switch to Castrol. :)

oh...Lucas oil is the shiznit!!! it's a 3rd gen's best friend :w00t

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr.13Luder said:
Yeah, i agree ^^^

At your next oil change get that washer at any auto parts store and replace it...it will leak, well, more like drip...if that doesnt bother you, then it's all gravy.

Bytheyway, FYI - Mobil 1 synthetic burns the most oil. My friend has a 5th gen and used that...that burned sooo much oil. If you dont believe me, read the reviews...switch to Castrol. :)

oh...Lucas oil is the shiznit!!! it's a 3rd gen's best friend :w00t
Yeah, i've heard alot of good stuff about Castrol GTX synth. I'll pour that next time.

As for the Lucas oil stuff... i think it would have been a better idea to do it in the summer.... feels all cloggy with this weather....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Det.John Kimble said:
Yeah, i've heard alot of good stuff about Castrol GTX synth. I'll pour that next time.

As for the Lucas oil stuff... i think it would have been a better idea to do it in the summer.... feels all cloggy with this weather....

To be honest, i have the infamous b21a1.
I have to use Lucas oil or i'll be constantly pouring motor oil in every week.
It actually aids cold winter start-ups...so if it wasnt for Lucas oil, a lot of 3rd gen Si owners would be sad. :eek:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
your good man. half the oil changes i do at work dont have gaskets on the plugs and they dont leak one bit. dont worry about it, if it bothers you, just get a new washer next time you change it like everyone else os saying. and remember to check on the oil cooler when you take off the old filter to make sire the old filter gasket isnt there. old filter gasket + new filter = teh lose! BIG mess.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I've been sayin for the past couple of days... the Lucas Oil treatment felt kind of thick..

so this eve i picked up 1 can of Mobil1 0w30 and another of 5w30, i went and drained out about 2 quarts of oil (put the washer back on the plug while i was at it :clap ) poured in the new oil and wow.... it seems to run sooo much more smooth and silky now...

I had just about ruled out the lucas oil stuff as BS... but i think it can be effective if used properly. on the can it says pour it in so its 20% of the total mixture... i think thats wayy too much for our cars...

I would say pour in about half of that bottle (1/2 quart or liter) and then the rest with 0w30 for a nice mix that will work well under most driving conditions.

I've been using 5w30 since i got the car.... i think for next winter i'll switch to just 0w30 though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts