Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '92 Si, d16z6, is making a slight whinning noise from the tranny. When i step on the clutch it goes away. When i let off, it comes back. I did this in nutural....

The clutch pedal feels good, & it grabs good too. It has new fluid (like 2.2 quarts). ANY HELP?

·
Registered
26 Posts
yea its definately your throwout bearings. I had the same exact problem with my clutch. I think I bought a pair for like 38$ and had a buddy help me put it in and as soon as i started driving it was fine. Switch those out and your problem will be gone.!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
How

sik94hatch said:
My '92 Si, d16z6, is making a slight whinning noise from the tranny. When i step on the clutch it goes away. When i let off, it comes back. I did this in nutural....

The clutch pedal feels good, & it grabs good too. It has new fluid (like 2.2 quarts). ANY HELP?

How many miles on the clutch set up? OEM or aftermarket?

i had the same problem, turned out it was the clutch disc ( Ebay Exedy "OEM" ),

clutch pedal IN= good, clutch pedal OFF= noise.

that clutch disc's center spline was loose and wiggle, Throw out bearing was very good.

put a new one = well done.

hope u dont have the clutch kit that i had :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
ISB (input shaft bearing)...only way to replace it is tear down the tranny and replace it....or just live with the whinning noise...all the D tranny's do it eventually...its not a big deal, just slightly annoying...but thats why we have radios.

goto a transmission shop that knows hondas and they will tell you the same thing

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
its not the throwout bearing if its doing it in nuetral and modulating with pedal pressure. if you think about it the throwout bearing is not even doing anything in nuetral but sitting there on the still transmission side. this is why everyones wrong and im right :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
fsufan814 said:
its not the throwout bearing if its doing it in nuetral and modulating with pedal pressure. if you think about it the throwout bearing is not even doing anything in nuetral but sitting there on the still transmission side. this is why everyones wrong and im right :)
Agreed!! I'm on my 5th engine and 6th tranny. Every D series tranny I've owned has eventually made this noise. Right now I'm trying to sell my Civic. Potential buyers are very weary of the noise. Oh well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
not to sound like a dick, but it aint the throwout bearing its the input shaft bearing. d series have a weak plastic cage in the bearing..........it will break apart and u will have that shit all through ur tranny. i recomend tearing it down, cleaning everything up, replace the bearing and seal it back up. of course some new gear oil and axle seals should be replaced too.

Reactions: HatchMack

·
Registered
238 Posts
my d17a2 civic has a similar problem... i let the clutch out with it in gear and i get a whinning noise, until i let the clutch all the way out, honda replaced the clutch master cylinder twice, lubed the clutch pedal bushing, and lubed the clutch fork and pivot ball at least 3 times, whats the issue I'm having? its a 2002 with 67k on it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
02ExK20pwr said:
my d17a2 civic has a similar problem... i let the clutch out with it in gear and i get a whinning noise, until i let the clutch all the way out, honda replaced the clutch master cylinder twice, lubed the clutch pedal bushing, and lubed the clutch fork and pivot ball at least 3 times, whats the issue I'm having? its a 2002 with 67k on it...
Hmmm... I thought they fixed this after the 2000 model year. Oh well.... Not my concern anymore. I sold the Civic yesterday. SO SAD. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
if its the input shaft bearing you might as well replace the whole clutch.Its like the timing belt and water pump thing,if you replace one you might as well replace the other.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.