Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an act clutch on my crx about a month ago. I haven't driven it hard yet, I was still breaking it in. I was driving to work and I pushed the clutch in to shift and I heard a pop. The clutch pedal just stayed on the floor. Luckily I was a block away from work and I made it their in first gear. I looked at the clutch cable and it looks ok. Any ideas of what happened???

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would check the connections of the cable to the pedal and to the tranny. If it sticks to the floor it could be your throwout bearing or the pin connecting to the throwout bearing. If you can't find anything wrong with the cable outside of the tranny you are going to have to take the tranny off and look at it. I would check the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i dont think its the throw out bearing or the pin that pushes it back..cuz the pressure plate would just push it back out on its own..

and the clutch cable probly isnt broken cuz the clutch pedal itself has a spring that pulls it back up also..unless the cable is stuck some where.. just try pulling it back up and have a friend check to see if the bar thingy (cant remember the name of it) on the tranny goes up when u push the clutch back in.. if it does then the cable is fine and the plate is screwed up..

hopefully its just the cable broke and got caught somewhere
also if u drove it to work a few blocks and the clutch was grabbing fine..it tells me the cable might be caught up...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
might be ure pressure plate but might be other things but if u didnt adjust it right it could be others. is there pressure at all? guve more info

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
if ti popped and stuck to the floor check the cable, go into the engine bay and try to pull the clutch lever by hand, if you can completley engage, disengage the clutch you know its fucked

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i say check the clutch cable.......something similar to this happen to me last year. the clutch cable part that connects to the pedal completely snapped. cost me 70 bucks with labor to replace.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I"m pritty sure a clutch cable wouldn't make such a loud noise....and if it is the clutch cable you wouldn't be able to get your car into first gear....so i'm thinking it might be an unproperly installed clutch......The pressure plate could of been bented.... :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
but if the clutch cable snapped it would make a hell of a noise, leaving the clutch engaged which wouldent allow it to go into gear....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

I took my car to my uncle(he installed the clutch) and he took the transmission cover off and everything looked ok in the transmission. The cable had some play in it, it wasn't very tight, so we just ajdusted the clutch, and everything is working find. I don't understand what causes this to happen since all we had to do was adjust the clutch and the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How did you get it into first gear, you said you pushed the clutch in to shift. once you heard the pop did you not pull it out of first?
obvisouly since you drove it the trowout bearing/pressure plate is intact. I too would asume something with your cable.....
Good luck man
Adam

·
Registered
120 Posts
well i guess we were writing posts at the same damn time !!!
LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to turn the car off to get it into first, then start it. Since i could put the clutch all the way in, it acts like it was going to stall, then the car just starts moving and shifting into the other gears without the clutch is easy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
well, me and dohczc are friends, and I was there when we went to his unckles. He started the car in first(you can put it in first only when the car is off), and it moved foward. He shifted without the clutch, and was able to run lots of stop signs to get there. Oh, and when we had to stop we turned the car off, and then put it in first. It sucked!

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's weird.... so now after adjusting it, the clutch works fine?
Do you think that the adjustment nut might have slipped over the threads? That would have probably made a pop. If that is what happened, then it's likely to occur again, so check that too
Adam

·
Registered
398 Posts
he is getting a new cable in the next few days. It is very possible that it skipped some threads.Ryan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe you had a kink in the cable that worked itself out, and then left to much play in the clutch pedal............. dunno happened to my old rex once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts