Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
My release bearing was shot at 94,000 miles. So i'm replacing the clutch while it's out, however the clutch was still in good shape :)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
It will start slipping when it starts going out, like when you accelerate or launch and the rpms go up quickly but you aren't moving very fast.

Stock clutch can last a long time with a stock engine, I've replaced them at 80K+ miles and there still wasn't slippage and they looked pretty good. I've gotten nearly 100K on a clutch in an 82 Civic that was whaled on by myself, my older brother & sister all learning to drive stick on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 2002 Ex and i replaced it with a custom stage 2... Its alot better now...
I have another issue though...
In second gear if i speed up till the engines at about 5500 and i slow down there is a grinding like sound like something is lightly hitting metal.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I removed my stock clutch at around 130k miles and it looked so good that I was tempted to just stick it back in.

They last a very long time if properly driven.
yup it all depends on how you drive too.

my accord driven by the wife has gone 120k since we bought it at 90k

·
Registered
9 Posts
My master and slave cylinder recently went out, so I rebuilt those. Now on my way to work, the clutch started slipping just like you described above. When I took it out for the test drive last night everything was working great and it was still working well at first this morning. Then while cruising on the freeway, I noticed that the RPM's seemed to be getting a bit high and acceleration was down. My question is:

Is there any way I did something funny to cause it to start slipping or is it probably the clutch going out?

'97 Prelude Non-SH
150,000 miles
Stock everything in the engine and drivetrain.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Burning the clutch a lot can do that. Like high revving and engaging it slowly or dropping it.

A significant increase in performance upgrades from stock can wear it out also.

Edit: Sometimes when at a stop light on a slight incline I like to hold the accelerator and the clutch just enough to hold the car in place rather than holding the brake. That isn't good for the clutch but it's at 193k miles on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
mine wont hold when I shift fast at the track, giving out at 110,000. the car is still perfectly drivable as in dayly driver, but I hammer this car and this is NOT holding the little engine power I have.

at the track it slips off the launch,slips going into 2nd,and slips going into 3rd.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
mine wont hold when I shift fast at the track, giving out at 110,000. the car is still perfectly drivable as in dayly driver, but I hammer this car and this is NOT holding the little engine power I have.

at the track it slips off the launch,slips going into 2nd,and slips going into 3rd.
clutch problem :D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
clutch problem :D
being replaced by a 6 puck as we speak. I alos found out I have a DX tranny in my EX WTF!?! looks like old EX one blew up and now im rocking the DX :(.

I will be puting in an EX ASAP along with a 4.7 FD to get my i/h/e 2000 ex into the mid 15's on street tires :).

right now with this LONG as fucking DX box I did a [email protected] My goal is 15's w/o boost then boost the piss out of this thing!!

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
being replaced by a 6 puck as we speak. I alos found out I have a DX tranny in my EX WTF!?! looks like old EX one blew up and now im rocking the DX :(.

I will be puting in an EX ASAP along with a 4.7 FD to get my i/h/e 2000 ex into the mid 15's on street tires :).

right now with this LONG as fucking DX box I did a [email protected] My goal is 15's w/o boost then boost the piss out of this thing!!
wow fast!! 15s in a EX!! :hug

good luck

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
NationsMostWanted said:
wow fast!! 15s in a EX!! :hug

good luck
Im 4 thenths off and that was with a dead ass clutch lol. act 12lb flywheel also going in.

its not fast as in general, but for a bolton civic 15's is fast saddly...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.