Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how much torque an OEM clutch can handle? Unfortunately I'm still using an OEM clutch, but it has a hard time holding on when I spray and push the car hard.

Anyone have any idea how much torque I might be putting down?

This clutch still works fine under normal driving, but it was painfully obvious at the track last weekend that it wasn't up to the 75 shot. I got into it a little too much off the line....pretty soon I was doing about 6000 rpms, going about 40 mph in third gear. :eek:

anyway, how much torque can an OEM clutch handle? How much could my motor be putting out? And any suggestions on what to get?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
not much over stock.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think hes saying its not puttin down much more than stock. Except for when you are using nos. As for you torque number I'm gonna make a wild guess and say between 180 - 200 when spraying. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, looks like I'll be going with an ACT HA3-HDSS. It's good for 278 ft-lbs according to their website. Best price I've found for the install is 760 out the door. This was at Superior Racing in Phoenix.

That a good price? anyone know of better around Phoenix?

I would do it myself, but I don't know much about that, don't know anyone who does to help me, and don't have the time/space to do it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
bob12345 said:
alright, looks like I'll be going with an ACT HA3-HDSS. It's good for 278 ft-lbs according to their website. Best price I've found for the install is 760 out the door. This was at Superior Racing in Phoenix.

That a good price? anyone know of better around Phoenix?

I would do it myself, but I don't know much about that, don't know anyone who does to help me, and don't have the time/space to do it.

Thanks for the help.
$760:eek: is that dealer price....if not then i'll say thats pretty danm expensive.......

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blaznh22 said:
$760:eek: is that dealer price....if not then i'll say thats pretty danm expensive.......
lol, no that's at a performance shop. They quoted me about 350 for the clutch itself, 350 for the install, and a little for tax and fluid and stuff.

A shop in the town I live in quoted me 1000 for it, so I figured 760 probably wasn't bad, but you're sayin that's high huh?

I guess I'll call a couple more places.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bob12345 said:
lol, no that's at a performance shop. They quoted me about 350 for the clutch itself, 350 for the install, and a little for tax and fluid and stuff.

A shop in the town I live in quoted me 1000 for it, so I figured 760 probably wasn't bad, but you're sayin that's high huh?

I guess I'll call a couple more places.
It isnt bad. I paid 391 to get a clutch installed. That was resurfacing the flywheel too. Plus labor was a little bit longer. I had a RB20 swap in my 240 and they had to get to the tranny bolts which is a B-I-itch.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a centerforce clutch for cheaper than they ACT they were gonna put in. Plus a friend of mine gave me a guys name that might help me put it in for cheaper than a regular shop. If it all goes the way it looks like it could, I should be done with this for under 600. If that works out, I'll probably put a flywheel in too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Iam a Dealer for Daikin ( O.E.M. Supply To Honda) and Exedy you need more info Give me a call if i dont know the answer i can get them for you

http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

This is the Honda Hyper. Just released!!!
This Hyper Single Clutch is now available in the USA for Honda / Acura.

The Hyper Single Clutch is engineered to optimize performance for cars that are moderately modified, but do not require the clutch capacity of a multi-plate clutch. Similar to our multi-plate clutch, it has a forged aluminum cover that is anodized purple. The aluminum cover is stiffer than a stamped cover and therefore allows a higher lever ratio to maintain the pedal efforts at a reasonable level.

All Hyper Clutches come with a steel flywheel and a 6-puck cerametallic facing, spring center damper disc assembly. The disc is generally smaller and thinner then the OEM disc making for lower inertia and therefore quicker, easier shifting and less wear and tear on the transmission synchros. The higher clamp load and cerametallic friction facings give approximately twice the holding torque of the OEM clutch and generally higher then other single plate clutches.

As with the cerametallic clutch, the street drivability may be marginal due to chattering and harsh engagement characteristics.

An additional feature of the pressure plate is a series of turbine-like, airflow enhancing vanes that keep the clutch cooler under extreme conditions to improve wear life.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clutch King said:
Iam a Dealer for Daikin ( O.E.M. Supply To Honda) and Exedy you need more info Give me a call if i dont know the answer i can get them for you

http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

This is the Honda Hyper. Just released!!!
This Hyper Single Clutch is now available in the USA for Honda / Acura.

The Hyper Single Clutch is engineered to optimize performance for cars that are moderately modified, but do not require the clutch capacity of a multi-plate clutch. Similar to our multi-plate clutch, it has a forged aluminum cover that is anodized purple. The aluminum cover is stiffer than a stamped cover and therefore allows a higher lever ratio to maintain the pedal efforts at a reasonable level.

All Hyper Clutches come with a steel flywheel and a 6-puck cerametallic facing, spring center damper disc assembly. The disc is generally smaller and thinner then the OEM disc making for lower inertia and therefore quicker, easier shifting and less wear and tear on the transmission synchros. The higher clamp load and cerametallic friction facings give approximately twice the holding torque of the OEM clutch and generally higher then other single plate clutches.

As with the cerametallic clutch, the street drivability may be marginal due to chattering and harsh engagement characteristics.

An additional feature of the pressure plate is a series of turbine-like, airflow enhancing vanes that keep the clutch cooler under extreme conditions to improve wear life.

Anybody ever heard of this before?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts