Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok as u all may know i've been questioning about the Stage 3 clutch from Clutchmasters. Stage 2, 3, and 4 are the same price. But stage 4 is like way too much and unnecessary and only good for pure track use.

what i'm wondering, is whether or not a stage 3 is even too much for my current setup. i don't want to like, not be able to drive in traffic and stuff. as u can see from my sig. my car is pretty much stock, my future plans include a couple bolt ons, and some cams, ignition, etc. but no turbo (i'm being realistic). so do u think a stage 3 clutch would be like way too much for a minorly modded car like mine? should i go with the stage 2 instead?

·
Registered
224 Posts
PHYT-R said:
I've been driving w/ the Stage 3 clutch for almost 2 yrs now and I use it mostly everyday w/o any problems,but let me tell you the bite is instant:D
hey PHYT-R, heavy is the clutch?? is it alrite in traffic meaning bumper to bumpre traffic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
heres a question, whats the difference between a single plate and twin plate clutch, any performing differences between them?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
go with the stage 3, its sturdy enough to handle future upgrades while still being totally streetable. you'll find that the stage 2 is a waste of cash, especially since youll want the 3 if you continue to upgrade w/more power adders down the line- good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
myflysi said:
go with the stage 3, its sturdy enough to handle future upgrades while still being totally streetable. you'll find that the stage 2 is a waste of cash, especially since youll want the 3 if you continue to upgrade w/more power adders down the line- good luck with your decision.
Actually all clutchmaster clutches are a waste of cash. They cost more, have the worst warranty (you send in your clutch they tell you broke it and you have to pay for another....great warranty)

Also they have more clutch chatter than my 100 year old grandma has the shakes.

Seriously first gear chatter on a CM clutch is like trying to engage a clutch on a bed of rocks...Go get an ACT , they cost less , perform better , give you more driveability and feel better.

Also better warranty as well. If you buy a CM , sorry but your a sucker. Iv had 3 friends switch from CM to ACT , they thought the cm sucked ass as well. Major driveline shock when you shift....tons of problems.

ACT never had a problem , drives like a dream.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
b16a2racer said:
hmm, anyone else have bad experiences w/ cM? or anyone that has experience with both cM AND ACT.
Also I had the cm flywheel , and now have the act flywheel.... My friends both went from cm to act and we all have the same feelings , I drove the cars before and after same stuff...

One a 93 hatchback , the other a 97gsr.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
My buddy has an ACT, and loves it. I'm so jelous when I drive his car, the thing grips like no tomorrow :D

Also look into excedy, they make a good clutch as well, and its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
mike_sho said:
Actually all clutchmaster clutches are a waste of cash. They cost more, have the worst warranty (you send in your clutch they tell you broke it and you have to pay for another....great warranty)

Also they have more clutch chatter than my 100 year old grandma has the shakes.

Seriously first gear chatter on a CM clutch is like trying to engage a clutch on a bed of rocks...Go get an ACT , they cost less , perform better , give you more driveability and feel better.

Also better warranty as well. If you buy a CM , sorry but your a sucker. Iv had 3 friends switch from CM to ACT , they thought the cm sucked ass as well. Major driveline shock when you shift....tons of problems.

ACT never had a problem , drives like a dream.
sorry you all feel like suckers for buying clutchmasters- ive had the stage 3 for almost a year now along with the flywheel and i have absolutely NO problems with it- my buddy also has one in his b16b swapped hatch and he loves the thing, another friend of mine has one in his fmax turbo'd gsr, he loves it too- maybe the problem lies in who installed the equip., not the equip. it self- i wonder how all the "suckers" that are running clutchmasters clutches that love them feel, now that you had to put all of them/us down-

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
v00tecsi said:
Also look into excedy, they make a good clutch as well, and its pretty cheap.
i've heard good things about excedy but i heard its not as good as CM in comparison, all i ever hear is that w/ many CM clutches you really get what you pay for. same w/ excedy for that matter, its not as expensive, but.. yea.. u know the rest

·
Registered
33 Posts
Vti-R:like i said i use it everday and have no problems with it and I get into traffic just as much as anyone else but still is not a problem it is just a bit heavier than the stock feel,but barely noticeable. You do engage much quicker though which works really nice w/ the LSD and sticky Azenis...like i said instant grip.

I have no experience w/ ACT, but I do have to say that I love my CM for the last couple of years which has lasted me many times at the drag strip last yr and a 2-day HPDE (road race)@ Gingerman Raceway this year not to mention the road trip alone from NY to MI and back to NY.That was 2-3K miles in 5 days.

My mods are only basic bolt-ons(for now)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i'm starting to change my decision to ACT, but i don't know which to choose from, there are a lot to choose from for 2000 Si

Pressure Plate Choices:
HD - ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
XT - ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
XX - ACT MaXX Xtreme Pressure Plate

Disc Choices:
00 - Stock Street Disc
MM - ACT Modified Street Disc
SS - ACT Performance Organic Street Disc
R4 - ACT 4-Pad Race Disc
R6 - ACT 6-Pad Race Disc

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have the cm stage 3 and aluminum flywheel got a great deal from importdirect and have put 10 000 miles on it without a hitch it is a carbon material and doesnt chatter at all. but if you want something a little different try the centerforce carbon fiber clutches they are probably the most driveable and offer a better clamping curve. and i do remember when everyone was talking about act clutches being bad also. i think it has the most to do with the amount of car in putting them in and breaking them in. say you bought an act and reamed on it and hated it then when you bought a cm or vice versa you would be more likely to break it in properly and like it better. they are both quality clutches.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
b16a2racer said:
what is involved in breaking in an aftermarket clutch? going easy on it? for how long?

usually the manufacturer of the equip. will tell you what the break-in period is (mileage wise) in which you have to resist all urges to practice dumping your clutch @ 5000 at every stoplight you get stuck at.... for at least a little while :D

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ahh i see

well i want to thank you all for your help, my clutch is like almost out completely and i need to make my purchase soon. so far i think i'm going to go w/ ACT but the only problem is that there are a lot of different clutch setups for my car alone. this is what i found at the website:

Pressure Plate Choices:
HD - ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
XT - ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
XX - ACT MaXX Xtreme Pressure Plate

Disc Choices:
00 - Stock Street Disc
MM - ACT Modified Street Disc
SS - ACT Performance Organic Street Disc
R4 - ACT 4-Pad Race Disc
R6 - ACT 6-Pad Race Disc

there's like a lot of combinations among the above choices

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.