Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car (94, GSR, OBD1) thew a CEL, I checked it out, and if I read the flashes right its a code 41: O-2 Sensor Heater ??

What the hell does this mean exactly? is the 02 sensor bad?? I replaced it when I did my exhaust about 1.5 years ago. I should think it would take a while for it to go bad?

The CEL comes on just about every time I turn the car on, but not as much if its warm I noticed, but it still did it to me today when it was warmed up?

Whats the deal? Anyone know? I have to take a trip with the car here at the end of the week, and I'm hoping this won't screw my MPG's or is a somewhat serious issue.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
hmmm.

i didn't think they used heater o2's until 96 in those.

it could be the sensor itself

first thing i would do is look at the wires coming from the sensor, then trace them as far as you can, unhook any connectors the wires go to and look for corrosion. after that reset the ecu and go drive it

if you start your car and shut it back off after a few mins without letting it get to operating temp frequently then you could have toasted your o2

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm.

i didn't think they used heater o2's until 96 in those.

it could be the sensor itself

first thing i would do is look at the wires coming from the sensor, then trace them as far as you can, unhook any connectors the wires go to and look for corrosion. after that reset the ecu and go drive it

if you start your car and shut it back off after a few mins without letting it get to operating temp frequently then you could have toasted your o2
well fuck. I dont usually make short trips if I can avoid it. But the winter temps up here are pretty extreme. I'll see if I can go check it out, but damn my car being lowered, I'll have to jack it up now, damnz.

Tho if my 02 was toasted, wouldn't I notice the car running differently? It runs cherry.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
well fuck. I dont usually make short trips if I can avoid it. But the winter temps up here are pretty extreme. I'll see if I can go check it out, but damn my car being lowered, I'll have to jack it up now, damnz.

Tho if my 02 was toasted, wouldn't I notice the car running differently? It runs cherry.
not always, if you have a code for the o2 heater then the o2 temp probably isn't hot enough for it to read the a/f anyways

it could be as simple as a melted wire to the o2, then just throw a but connector on it, or do it the right way and solder it

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuck, I was gonna go jack it up real quick and take a peek under, but it started to rain, fML

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not always, if you have a code for the o2 heater then the o2 temp probably isn't hot enough for it to read the a/f anyways

it could be as simple as a melted wire to the o2, then just throw a but connector on it, or do it the right way and solder it
Hmmm.

Well shiz, I hope its an easy fix. I don't have money for a new 02. I'm assuming this problem would be something I'd want fixed before a trip seeing as MPG's are going to be what I want to maximize.

Also, if I get the CEL, then turn off the car, and start it again it goes away?? And sometimes it just docent come on. Maybe corrosion or a loose connection may be the culprit.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that or your o2 might just be getting lazy due to build up on the sensor

i would reset your ecu after you look it over and keep track of your gas mileage

it shouldn't go down to much
This is a point I actually considered. Sometimes my car burns off some oil, so maybe there is some gunk on it? I actually moved the sensor slightly from stock location, it was on the cat before, and now its in the collector of the ITR 4-1 header.

· Registered
22,822 Posts
sounds like a bad sensor. oxygensensors.com is one of the cheapest places to get a new one. get the denso one though. Wifes car threw a 41 a few months back and a new sensor was all it needed. If you want to, look through a Helms for your car, they list a procedure to test for a fault o2 sensor.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a bad sensor. oxygensensors.com is one of the cheapest places to get a new one. get the denso one though. Wifes car threw a 41 a few months back and a new sensor was all it needed. If you want to, look through a Helms for your car, they list a procedure to test for a fault o2 sensor.
I think I actually bought a warranted sensor, so I'm gonna call. If not, I'll check my haynes to see if they have a check procedure.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well get this. Apparently the sensor has a 2 yr. warntee. According to the parts store I bought the part on April 5th 2007. GOD DAMNIT!!! It couldn't have taken a crap a month before warntee expired? Thats just gay. I am literally like what 20 days off warntee and this shit happens, just my luck.

It had a procedure for checking the correct voltage and such in my haynes, so if I can get ahold of a multi-meter I'll check it out.

Now, it said in there that if not functioning proporly the motor will run in "open loop mode" which makes the engine run off a set of values in the computer for how the motor should run, not the actual conditions inside the the engine. Here's another question, part of this trip includes some drag racing, will this damage my car or not be a good idea to run it hard if this part is faulty?? Am I going to be down on power?? I'm gonna try to double check the connection later this week and get a volt meter on it and see for sure if it needs to be replaced or not.

The other thing that sucks, is I have the old 02 sensor I pulled out of the car before I put the new one in, problem is the threads on it are all stripped out. UGH

· Registered
22,822 Posts
open-loop is typically a bit richer than closed, just to be on the safer side. On my old prelude, I put off getting a new o2 sensor for so long, and then after I wrecked it, I took the motor apart. The internals were practically flawless for a motor with 130k on it. Shouldnt do any harm, itll just run a bit richer until you can get a new one.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
open-loop is typically a bit richer than closed, just to be on the safer side. On my old prelude, I put off getting a new o2 sensor for so long, and then after I wrecked it, I took the motor apart. The internals were practically flawless for a motor with 130k on it. Shouldnt do any harm, itll just run a bit richer until you can get a new one.
hm, well good to know. I guess richer is better than the opposite. Hope I don't lose too much in mpg then. It's like 130 for a new fucking sensor, what a fucking rip off. Guess this summer when I get the cash I'll have to get another one.

· Registered
22,822 Posts

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
397 Posts
Sometimes it is cheaper to get a universal one for your car. You will have to splice your connector onto it though, but it will run the same as a direct fit one. They charge a lot more just to have that damn connector already put on for an easy installation.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, a bit of good news, a buddy of mine has a spare slightly used Denso 02 sensor. Hes sellin it to me for $35, not a bad price to pay at all for a sensor that was used for around 19k in his 95 GSR prior.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
before you buy a new one test the old one. i know at toyota we measure the resistance on the sensor to determine if its good or bad. mine went bad about a year ago and bought a bosch unit for 70 bucks but had to be spliced and soldered the connector. do you still have a cat?

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have a bosh in there now, I'm gonna test it, but a buddy has a nearly new one he's sellin me for $35, an OEM denso at that.

No, my car just has a test pipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.