Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject explains it self...still debating on MkII MR2 or 5th Gen Prelude. Stats and comfyness determine my choice. I prefer RWD though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
I thought I had that info somewhere, but can't find it right now. I'll keep looking for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
wutangben said:
if you dont know what the coefficient of drag is for a 5th gen prelude, you dont need to post irrelevant stuff...

i'll see if i can find out for you christople.

peace
didnt understand the ? entirely then:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
I have two numbers stuck in my head for a 5th gen prelude.

.31 or .33.

I know a rx7 is either .28 or .29. cause my buddy had one and was making fun of the drag coefficient of my car:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,998 Posts
I dont think those kinda numbers were ever published by honda. So its upto outside testing sources.

The 4th gen was .33 , so im sure its around there as well. Allthough i did find one site that said it was .38-40 for the 5g , this was some testing site that did a lot of cars. I know the car has a pretty large frontal area. Around 11 sq/ft.

But I couldnt find any consistent numbers. Anyone got a wind tunnel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,727 Posts
mike_sho said:
I dont think those kinda numbers were ever published by honda. So its upto outside testing sources.

The 4th gen was .33 , so im sure its around there as well. Allthough i did find one site that said it was .38-40 for the 5g , this was some testing site that did a lot of cars. I know the car has a pretty large frontal area. Around 11 sq/ft.

But I couldnt find any consistent numbers. Anyone got a wind tunnel?
yea I got one in my back yard.....I bought it last yr when I was bored:laff:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,402 Posts
mike_sho said:
Hheheh. Yeah I wonder why honda didnt seem to publish the 5g's stats. It seems they did with the 4g.

Perhaps they got something to hide. :eek:
could be or it could be that they didn't see them as being important anymore. I know that in the 80's Coefficent of drag was a big point used in ads for cars and such... but up untill the G35 was introduced I haven't seen it added to ads. Maybe honda just didn't feel it was needed. Or like you said maybe it isn't as good as the 4th gens and honda thought that would reflect poorly on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, thanks for the input, I just wanted to know more specs of this car. I am still wanting MR2 1991-1995 turbo or non I don't care. I just wanna do donuts and have more confidence cornering.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,998 Posts
Jvtec said:
could be or it could be that they didn't see them as being important anymore. I know that in the 80's Coefficent of drag was a big point used in ads for cars and such... but up untill the G35 was introduced I haven't seen it added to ads. Maybe honda just didn't feel it was needed. Or like you said maybe it isn't as good as the 4th gens and honda thought that would reflect poorly on them.
Or maybe its so good they didnt want to take away any fame from there other low co models. NSX...

Who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
It's obviously good, how else could you do 155 mph on only 195 hp? Most cars with that amount of power fall flat on their face after 120 mph, too much drag... You gotta admit the 5g has a really low hood and swept windshield, my guess is that the CD is really good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,998 Posts
Muwhahahah. I knew you guys would like that comment. Hey just trying to give you 5g owners what you want....right. I had to think like the 5g , to make happy the 5g. Hheheh.

Also as for how you get to 150. Gearing & power. Now with that being said , allthough you can get 150. It takes quite a bit. The 4g with 190 hits 140 pretty easy. Ive seen some 5g's basically having trouble past the 140 mark when shooting for the one five zero. No doubt if the 4g had to get to the 150 it would of course probably take as long , but because were geared to not even try for that speed. We get to our smaller amount faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
NotoriouSH said:
It's obviously good, how else could you do 155 mph on only 195 hp? Most cars with that amount of power fall flat on their face after 120 mph, too much drag... You gotta admit the 5g has a really low hood and swept windshield, my guess is that the CD is really good.
The VIPER has an absolute shit Cd, but it can still push 200 MPH. Granted it has 450 HP, but that is still no small feat.

Also: to the guy who wants an MKII MR2, if one of your reasons for getting the car is for cornering stability as you stated, then you will be in for one hell of a rude awakening as soon as you push it to the limits in that car. ESPECIALLY the 91-92s. They are one of the easiest cars to spin that I know of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Nsx's Cd is like .27, i read in sport compact magazine. It had the same top speed as the ferrari with less HP!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top