Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does a cold air intake change the sound of your car in anyway?(excuse my gross ignorance) Also, are there exhaust systems i can add to my crx that are not loud? i'd like to keep the car quiet as possible.

One last ignorant question, checking the vavle clearances, is this something a person with minor experience in car maintenance(sparks,wires,oil,blower moter!) could do realativly easy?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
1 - The intake system WILL make the engine louder but only under hard acceleration.

2 - I would recommend Tanabe as a quieter deeper exhaust compared to other that sound twangy and high pitched

3 - Valve adjustments can be done VERY easily yourself. To accomplish things if this nature, I would recommend DL'ing the manual or getting yourself a Hanes or Chilton's from Pep Boys. They will show you how to do EVERYthing maintenance-wise

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
XLR8 said:
Just a side note: if you decide to go Tanabe, the Tuner Hyper Medallion is quieter than the Racing Medallion. Also, putting in a resonator will quiet down the exhaust as well.

good point

·
Registered
969 Posts
I got a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler put on 2.25 inch custom pipe at the muffler shop and I can say that I don't even hear my exhaust at all unless I stand behind my car. The only thing I hear is the intake whOOOOOOOOmp. This setup sounds much like stock, and its a helluva lot cheaper than any tanabe setup.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is .05 hp worth hundreds of dollars? didn't think so, magnaflow still flowwwws well, cuz it has flowww in the name :eek :ninja

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
jmed said:
One last ignorant question, checking the vavle clearances, is this something a person with minor experience in car maintenance(sparks,wires,oil,blower moter!) could do realativly easy?
Yeah, you'll just need a feeler guage and know how to used one, and you'll be all set. Pick up a manual and you'll get the measurements.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the answers.

Follow up to the vaLve clearances question, i've had my crx now for a few years and have never checked them so i imagine they're off a bit, will i notice improved gas mileage once i correct them?

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Probably not any dramatic improvements. You will notice that your engine is a little quieter though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts