Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ive got a 97 accord. Cold air is usless. You lose power in the midrange due to the long azz pipe.

Go short ram. Its cheaper and you dont lose power over stock at all. Put it this way, the AEM V2 which has been R&Ded out the wazoo is a short ram application for our model. So that tells ya something right there.

Ive tried all 3 models sadly...had some extra moneh laying around. With the short ram i didnt feel an improvement (certainly no loss) over stock until i reached 4000rpm. With the cold air i felt a slight gain in low end torque but then it died off and actualy starting hurting the car around 3500 rpm (this is where our car is supposed to have one of its power boosts in the rpm range) so that pissed me off. Then I went to the V2. Thing kicks ass. I get all the torque improvements of a cold air and all the higher torque improvements of the short ram.

So all in all, with a cold air intake you gain power in the low range, lose power in the mid range, acheive smaller upper range increases than the short ram, and of course run the risk of sucking water into your engine by hitting a puddle. With the short ram you dont lose any low-range or mid-range power. You gain upper range power. And contrary to popular belief, when your car is driving you get a shit load of circulation in the engine bay. So the whole "short ram intakes suck in the massively hot air coming off the headers" is a load of crap. Aerodynamics sucks all that air away when your driving.

I hope this has helped you.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
by itself a cai won't see any good gains....

w/ a bunch of other bolt-ons....you won't see any good gains either....but better than the cai itself.

when you build the motor, you will see some better gains when you have the cai equipped.

when you full build the motor, you won't even need an intake lol

itb ftw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.