Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k, last night, my car was sittin outside in maybe -10 to -20 (celcius) for about 4 hours.. so i went to drive home... didnt really let the car warm up (home was about 1.5 km away)... so i decided just to book it for fun and when i floored it, the revs climbed real slow and the car was REALLY sluggish and i didnt really hear/feel vtec engage (compared to what u can feel in our cars normally)... just wondering, is vtec disabled when the engine still hasnt warmed up??

·
Registered
372 Posts
You are correct. VTEC does not work when the coolant temperature is below 140 degrees (I think) ... Unless you have a V-AFC. With one of these the VTEC engages at the pre-determined point regardless of engine temperature, in park/neutral or reverse movement.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
its good to let the engine warm before you floor it anyways. I remember when I first got my car I had wondered the same thing. But now I usually let my car idle for about a minute before I put it into gear and then I go easy on it till its at its stable temp.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
canadian1986 said:
k, last night, my car was sittin outside in maybe -10 to -20 (celcius) for about 4 hours.. so i went to drive home... didnt really let the car warm up (home was about 1.5 km away)... so i decided just to book it for fun and when i floored it, the revs climbed real slow and the car was REALLY sluggish and i didnt really hear/feel vtec engage (compared to what u can feel in our cars normally)... just wondering, is vtec disabled when the engine still hasnt warmed up??
vtec works on oil pressure, so when your engine is cold the vtec will not engage.
plus you shouldnt be floooring it when your engine is cold anyway, all the oil is at the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
490 Posts
canadian1986 said:
that was a pretty dumb idea :D

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the car sat for maybe a minute while i switched cds.... i know not to go doggin on the car when its cold, i still let off the gas when i realized i was goin nowhere...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had a job at the airport. And every morning I had to position all the trucks and tugs at the gate. If i just jumped in, turned the ignition, put it in gear and drove away. they would cut out right away. if I walked down the line and turned them all on first, then walked back to the first and drove away there would bee no problmes.
Hear's two VETC rules:
1- Get the engine warmed up.
2- Keep the oil near full.

·
Registered
490 Posts
saint said:
I had a job at the airport. And every morning I had to position all the trucks and tugs at the gate. If i just jumped in, turned the ignition, put it in gear and drove away. they would cut out right away. if I walked down the line and turned them all on first, then walked back to the first and drove away there would bee no problmes.
Hear's two VTEC rules:
1- Get the engine warmed up.
2- Keep the oil near full.
wow ur trucks have VTEC???:confused:

and on a realistic note, the trucks are probably diesel-engined, on a cold day they dont even start right away, u must warm the glowplug first and yes because they are compression-ignition on a cold day it would take longer for the engine to reach proper diesel-combustion temp

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is my but VTEC?

Were they desil?
Ahhhh..... No.

The point being: You have to warm up your engine, any engine,
before you start out. you prevent engine wear.

·
Registered
685 Posts
saint said:
Is my but VTEC?

Were they desil?
Ahhhh..... No.

The point being: You have to warm up your engine, any engine,
before you start out. you prevent engine wear.
Actually you have wear either way: cold start or idling. So you should balance the two. You shouldn't drive your car in a normal way until it's warmed up. But you should also not warm (idle) your car too long because engines are designed to rev, not idle. So on a very cold day, you should wait at the most a minute to warm up the engine and slowly drive the car until you see your coolant temp gauge reach toward normal operating temps.

Oh and Honda purposely designed their OBD-II cars with auto trannies to shift differently while warming up (to heat up the cat. faster=lower emissions) so there's another reason why you probably didn't feel much power when the engine was cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts