Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put my car back to stock height, but I am finding a problem finding a way to compress my stock springs, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
are you using a spring compressor i hope??-just be very carefull-compressing springs is a dangerous job-id check out the suspension forum-youll probably find some info on this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
na, couldnt find much, I wanna know a place I can go that will compress the springs for a reasonable price, becuase the shitty compressors I have work off a wrench and theyre gonna b a bitch to do it like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Goto a autoparts store like autozone or one of those and rent one. Its very easy to compress a spring, you just a have to be careful and not rush at it. You will save a lot of money doing that way.

stickmoney

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey man. I have used a spring compressor from autozone to remove the stock springs, and they work absolutely fine. You just have to take your time and be careful when you are compressing the spring. After you have compressed the spring enough, you would be able to put the top on with the 14mm bolt, and if it happens to decompress, the top part of the shock assembly will hold it in place. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
it's free to rent them from autozone.

but you pay for them upfront and get a full refund if you return them in the original, un-damaged condition.

it's real easy to compress the springs...just take your time and make sure to put a spring compressor on each side of the spring, just to make sure you get even compression and to be safe.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
ninjacookies said:
it's free to rent them from autozone.

but you pay for them upfront and get a full refund if you return them in the original, un-damaged condition.

Yup, this man is correct. :)

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
stickmoney said:
Yes they tighten with a socket.

stickmoney
connect that to an air gun and you're in business :tu:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
go to pepboys/kragen/schucks/checkers or whatevers available in your area and rent a spring compressor its free just hafta put a down payment you get back when you return it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
already have that type of compressor, I was hoping to find somewhere i could get an automated 1, seems like those tighten compressors r a lil dangerous, and with a socket wrench theyre gonna b a bitch, wish I had an air gun....

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
connect that to an air gun and you're in business :tu:
that's what I was going to say :D gotta love a ratchet air wrench, or you could get them compressed real quick with am impact gun lol

They aren't dangerous if you're using both of them. There should be two feet on the top and one foot on the bottom, tighten one side, do the other, back and fourth, they work great. I'd probably taken out over 100 sets of springs with a flea market spring compressor set.

·
Registered
198 Posts
when using a impact wrench or air wrench or even a sockect wrench , make sure u dont compress one side fully before compressing the other side. have to go evenly on both sides

·
Registered
17,562 Posts
stickmoney said:
Goto a autoparts store like autozone or one of those and rent one. Its very easy to compress a spring, you just a have to be careful and not rush at it. You will save a lot of money doing that way.

stickmoney
i'd do what he said if i was going to do mine :D

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
niceaznboi said:
when using a impact wrench or air wrench or even a sockect wrench , make sure u dont compress one side fully before compressing the other side. have to go evenly on both sides
I cheat, I use two ratcheting air wrenches at the same time :) LOL. If one gets ahead I just stop that one for a second. :D

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
illusion said:
I cheat, I use two ratcheting air wrenches at the same time :) LOL. If one gets ahead I just stop that one for a second. :D
LOL-i guess that would always work-i like that idea-haha

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
illusion said:
Haha sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
wish I had an air ratchet when I put my springs in. Took FOREVER to get my front ones compressed enough to get the strut apart. But it was free, so I can't complain.

I couldn't even use a regular ratched for mine, the compressor nuts were just slightly bigger than the biggest socket I have. Had to use a big end wrench :rolleyes: haha, oh well, it's done now.

But anyway, I got the compressors from checker, paid about 50 bucks for them, and returned them a couple days later. They worked well, and thay actually have a couple safety pins on them so that they can't slip off the spring and have it decompress on you. Just take it easy, and compress them evenly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts