Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my 95 Vtec Lude in to get a leak down test. The shop said it was the valves. After 3 weeks of down time my cousins and I got the head back from the machine shop (installed crower SS valves), and installed the head back on.

well, what do you know the compression is still the same!

the car does run alot better though. no more bogging, bucking, and back fire.

the car seems stronger. any suggestions? the valves were set .007 intake and .008 exhaust.

· Registered
34 Posts
You could go back to the shop and tell them to do a dry and wet compression tests. Write down the nubers of both results and compare them. If after a wet test the nubers increase, you'll know right away it's the piston rings. But since you did the valve job on your head, and the nubers are almost the same then it's pretty obvious it's the rings. If I were you I wouldn't even go back to that shop and pay them all over again for the same diognostics they should've done the first time and not tell you to do a head job when you needed rings. Just do the rings and you should be good.

· Registered
4,212 Posts
Vtec Mike said:
How do you do a compression test, could you do it in your garage??
Go to any parts store and get a compression tester, approx 30-40 bucks, take it home, take your plugs out, all of them, take off your coil wire off, then put the tester in, get in, floor the pedal and crank the engine about 3-5 times, check the pressure on the gauge, reset it, do the next cyclinder.;)

· Registered
4,212 Posts
95PRELUDEVTEC said:
wet compression test:

Wow thats quick, one day later you do wet test.. Did the shop do it? Well to me, it looks like 1 and 2 have bad rings, since you hit 200 dry test on 3 and 4, and the 3 and 4 for wet are the same.. I have never done wet compression test before.. so i dont know the specs.

EDIT: oops my bad 210 not 200;)

· Registered
34 Posts
All your pistons could use new rings, judging from the test results you supplied us with. The number 3 & 4 cylinders are better than 1 & 2 though. When doing a ring job most of the time (always since I could remember) you replace all of them. To get to one cylinder you have to go throug the same precedure as if you were replacing them all. It would just be dumb not to do them all at the same time. Good luck. John

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well looks like i'm going to have to sell my turbo kit......it's a brand new never used drag 2. the manifold was sent back to drag cause it was a F#$%ed up one and they said they/ll send me another one......so close to be boosted but yet so far :(

anyone interested?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.