Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched this and couldn't find anything on what the compression for an h22 should be. i am putting out what seems to me an excessive amount of black smoke through vtec. i know that smoking through vtec is normal but like i said seems excessive. no oil resin on my bumper so i'm sure its nothing critical yet. i have 1 cylendar at 190 and 3 at 195 is this good and at what time should i rebuild or atleast re-ring it?

·
Registered
22,822 Posts
those seem like decent numbers to me, the main thing you want to watch for is extreme variances from cylinder to cylinder

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
from my experience, the most common causes of losing that much oil would either be worn piston rings or worn valve guides.

there's a greater chance of worn rings though, so I'd look there first. compression/leak down testing on all cylinders will tell you.

the H22A, I'd say anywhere from 190-210 is about average for most of 'em... and like TheRedPill said earlier, a 10% difference between cylinders is generally considered 'industry standard'.

it is fairly normal to burn a good bit of oil when using VTEC regularly. I wouldn't worry about it much until using VTEC causes you to burn insane amounts of oil... where you're putting a quart in it every week. I know a couple high mileage 'Luders that have to do this (like 5th gens, 140K+ on the odo). There's lots of Preludes that'll get that black soot all over the rear bumper... and it's almost always this burnt oil residue that we're talking about now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.