Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comptech SOHC 4-2-1 Header Info

I just recently got around to installing a Comptech TIG Welded 4-2-1 Stainless Steel Header and collected a little information in the process. The comptech header is a stepped header meaning that each section of piping gets larger.

Measurements
Primaries : 1-5/8" diameter, 12" long
Secondaries : 1-3/4" diameter, 20" long
Collector : 2" diameter, 3" long

All flanges are 3/8" and tig welded.

Comptech also offers a slightly cheaper mig welded header.

Impressions thus far is that I didn't lose any noticeable bottom end, midrange is noticeably improved and a little more on the top end. I think that I have an exhaust leak, but I think that I need to adjust my cat-back piping to get everything to sit inline properly with the new header. The comptech header is a quality piece and I'm looking forward to more comptech goodies down the road.

Notice that the primaries are a lot longer on the comptech than the stocker.

Notice that the secondaries are also a lot longer on the comptech than the stocker.

Mmm.... Pretty... This is a week after install. The header changed colors in about 2-3 days. Looks like I didn't get all of the oil off when I installed it. Kinda difficult though considering you don't have a lot of room to maneuver that thing into place.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
nice set up. I love this forum now where i can get some answers on parts. My question is supposedly u adjust the hi-flow cat correctly to get the better performance from that header, will it make any difference compare to the stock header? I have a GSR, hence, GSR header. Most people said that i should be able to keep my header cuz it wont make my car a lil faster if i put some aftermarket header to it. I know i have to use a search, but i'm wonderin by ur experience if u have felt any difference from that stock header vs. comptech header in specific. And that it is worth of gettin the aftermarket header. thank!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Mmm.... Pretty... This is a week after install. The header changed colors in about 2-3 days. Looks like I didn't get all of the oil off when I installed it. Kinda difficult though considering you don't have a lot of room to maneuver that thing into place.

i don't know...i'm weird, but i kind of like that color

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope you put a gasket on that new pretty header. :D and the headers are suppose to change into that funky color due to your car running between 120-220 degrees. it sure is pretty, to bad you've got a Sohc

·
Registered
74 Posts
he was refering to the finger prints you can see on the header. he knew that it would change colors. when I had my DC SS header on my CRX it turned some awsome colors from the heat. at night after running for a while, I could pop the hood while it was running and see it glowing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree. The Comptech 4-2-1 is a sweet header. 10X better than the DC 4-2-1 ceramic header that was replace. Fitment was perfect. On the Teg, there is a bracket that connects to the lower part of the header. To make nstallation a little easier, loosen that bracket, install the header and tight all the header bolts before retightening that little bracket.

Be sure to clean the header with rubbing alcohol. The last pic is my header in a nice soft bronze.

Here are the pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just put my comptech on

Just like the previous post the header went on without a problem. Just drove home from Pittsburgh and checked it looks like I got all the prints off it good looking out guys I probably would have missed that if i didnt read the post. I also put a test pipe and a Greddy SP cat back on. Im very happy with the set up the Greddy was a little louder than I wanted but It has a very low pitch sound its pretty sweet.I did have to swich the rubber hangers from the middle of the car to the muffler cause the tip was rubing my bumper. Other wise instalation was straight forawd. I didnt notice much in the low end power but as soon as midrange kicks in you Know somthings there the car pulls so much harder all the way to redline. I should have pics of the set up soon.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
There are several theories regarding header design, the most important being the compromise between mid range and top end horsepower. Thats why Comptech does extensive development to maximize power gains throughout the RPM range. On the street a majority of driving time is spent in the mid range and a header tuned to boost mid range power results in a car that is quicker responding and more fun to drive......Also if you can afford replacing a header every so many years hytech makes some of the highest header horsepower gains for honda but the down side is he doesnt make them in stainless steel so it rusts out so fast. He says "I build headers to lower lap times, I dont worry about it lasting." :noo

·
Registered
156 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts