1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I recently upgraded my computer(2 months ago) with these parts

XFX Geforce 7600GT 256MB PCI Express x16
AMD Athlon 64 3700
MSI K8N Diamond Plus Socket 939
CORSAIR XMS 2GB PC 3200
Rosewell 550W PSU

The probelm is when I turn on the computer, it stays on for like 5 mins and then turns off automaticaly. I tried a new PSU(650W XFX) but didnt solve the problem.
I noticed one of the chipsets on the board was getting realy hot because the fan was like 7" away connected with a hollow tube(Bad engineering i guess) so I bought a small fan and placed it on top the bare chipset but its still doing the same thing.
Thought it was the CPU getting overheated and I put new heat sink/fan and was monitoring the temp. It was 31C/86F and the computer just shutdown. I removed the heatsink to check the CPU and it wasnt hot.
Funny thing is after it shuts down, it will turn back on automaticaly without me touching the switch and powers off again within 10 seconds. Think its the bad switch because the case was just a generic.

·
Registered
670 Posts
shon.nv said:
Funny thing is after it shuts down, it will turn back on automaticaly without me touching the switch and powers off again within 10 seconds. Think its the bad switch because the case was just a generic.
You sure you hooked up those wires correctly for the power switch and stuff? What about trying different outlets?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
shon.nv said:
^^ yeah I checked all the connectors and even switched them around cause the polarity might be different but does the same thing.
Its sad that a 1K computer is sitting there and I can even install windows on it.
You CAN or CANT even get windows installed?

I am guessing that you dont have windows installed and that is a typo. And since you dont have windows installed you are checking the temp from bios right?

Does the computer RESET or does it turn off complelty. I am guessing you have a crappy PSU. The Rosewell PSU suck. I know you said you replaced it with a more power XFX psu, but I never heard of XFX for PSU. I know they make video card but I never heard of them making PSU. So if the PSU sayd XFX on it, it might be a wanna be XFX logo or something so it is crap. How much did you spend on that PSU? Please tell me you spend more then $50 on it.

If heat wasnt the issue, them it might be the video card is pulling too much power. You might want to try swaping out the video card with someone who has a lower power card and see if that will work out.

At the end you said that it resets. Try clearing the CMOS, take the little battery out from the mobo, wait 30 sec or so then put it back on. Also you might want to check your RAM. Use only ONE stick of RAM and see if that still resets itself. If it does try using ONLY the other one. If it still does then I dont know.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Yeah I would say:

A) bad PSU
B) defective mobo

However, even though you replaced the PSU with a no name brand....it's highly unlikely that the second one was bad as well....so I'm leaning toward a mobo problem. MSI is a pretty good company. Like SuperAkuma said...try resetting your CMOS with the jumper...then if that doesn't work I'd look into your mobo warranty.

·
Registered
670 Posts
SuperAkuma said:
If heat wasnt the issue, them it might be the video card is pulling too much power. You might want to try swaping out the video card with someone who has a lower power card and see if that will work out.

At the end you said that it resets. Try clearing the CMOS, take the little battery out from the mobo, wait 30 sec or so then put it back on. Also you might want to check your RAM. Use only ONE stick of RAM and see if that still resets itself. If it does try using ONLY the other one. If it still does then I dont know.
Yeah sometimes the ram screws up the video card for some reason... Yeah, any beeps or error messages? Are you even IN windows when this happens?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I highly doubt the vid card is pulling a lot of power.

The 7600GT barely consumes any power...I don't even think it requires a PCI-Express power plug...and he has a 650w PSU...which is overkill for his setup.

Hell I run a 7900GT KO superclocked (and oc'd past that :) ), 3200+ at 2.4ghz, 2gb ram at 240mhz, 2 7200rpm 160gb seagates, a sound blaster x-fi, and a DVD-RAM all on a 500watt and I still have some power headroom

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
jhwee said:
Yeah sometimes the ram screws up the video card for some reason... Yeah, any beeps or error messages? Are you even IN windows when this happens?
what it sounds like to me is that he hasn't gotten the computer to run long enough to attempt an install of windows yet.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1> I've tried 3 different PSU(Rosewell 550W, BFG 650W not XFX and Enermax 500W from a friend) but the problem persists
2> I cannot install windows becuase its wont stay on long enough so yeah I was checking the temprature from the BIOS.
3> Iam poretty sure its the power switch because it prolly fluctuates and sends signals to the mobo thats why my computer completely powers off(all the fans and everything completely stops for like 60 seconds) and turns back on by itself without me touching it but turns off again within 10 seconds. This cycle continues until I turn off the PSU switch from the back.
4> The case is 3 years old and I used it with my old P4 2.0GHZ.
5> Mobo warranty is f-ed up because I put a small fan on one of the chipset which was getting realy hot. It was connected by a hollow pipe with a fan 7 inches away. I cut that hollow pipe so I dont think they will replace it.
6> No beeps of any kind except for the one you get when it boots.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I doubt it is the case cuz when you turn on the system all it does is short the power to turn it on. Do you know how to turn on the mobo without plugging it in?
Unplug the wire on the mobo that allows the mobo to be turned on from the case. There should be two prong when you take it out. Use a screw driver or something metel and short the two prong, it should turn on the mobo. If it still turns off after 30 sec or so then it is not the case.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I actually had this same problem just a week ago with my desktop pc. The HSF I had on it was running at a low speed so I was told (and I don't know why I believed it) to cut the temp sensor off of the fan and wire the two wires together.
That lasted all of 2 minutes. The friggin fan shorted on its self and caused the pc to trip some kind of an internal breaker. It did exactly what you were talking about here. The pc would turn on and then kick off after 3-4 minutes.
I would look in your pc and see if you have something accidentially shorted, a motherboard lead with metal to metal contact or something of that nature.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem solved

Ok so last night I plugged in the "Reset Button" connector into the "Power switch" pins and the system ran about 6 hours without any problem.
I didnt have my bootable disk and windows XP CD so I just monitored the CPU temp in the BIOS. The temprature was stable between 31C-37C. Tonight I will install the windows and hopefuly it will be ok. :w00t

Thanks for all the help fellas, SHO is :number1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Shon. It's good to hear that you finally got your new computer working. Instead of building me a new one, would you be willing to take a trade plus some cash for the computer at work? :banana

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.