Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what changes how fast your computer gets into windows desktop? m noticing im not moving into windows as fast as i used to.

what changes could i do to improve that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Are you talking about boot time? It is mainly the hard drive. You can run a RAID 0 setup or get a raptor hard drive.

Other things that slow down the boot time are programs that you installed into windows. A bunch of them are junk programs or programs that you dont really need to boot up. They just load just in case you might need them. And when you do need then, you save like a sec or so from loading them up since they are already loaded. Programs like windows media player, winamp, AIM, photoshop, quicktime, MSN, dvd player program, nero..etc.. Pretty much almost everything that you install into your computer will "want" to load up right when windows start weater you need them or not.

Go to Start > RUN > Type "msconfig" (without the " ") > OK > go to the "Startup" tab. Everything checked are programs that will boot up when your computer start.

Uncheck any that you know FOR SURE you dont need, then click Apply then OK. It will ask you to reboot the computer.
Once you reboot your computer, check that box that pop up to "ok" what you just did. If you dont check the box and just click OK then you didnt do the change.

***Some programs are kinda hard to know what they are. If you dont know what that program is, google the name and it will tell you. After you google it and still dont know, dont check it and ask one of use.***

Also it wouldnt hurt to defrag your computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperAkuma said:
Are you talking about boot time? It is mainly the hard drive. You can run a RAID 0 setup or get a raptor hard drive.

Other things that slow down the boot time are programs that you installed into windows. A bunch of them are junk programs or programs that you dont really need to boot up. They just load just in case you might need them. And when you do need then, you save like a sec or so from loading them up since they are already loaded. Programs like windows media player, winamp, AIM, photoshop, quicktime, MSN, dvd player program, nero..etc.. Pretty much almost everything that you install into your computer will "want" to load up right when windows start weater you need them or not.

Go to Start > RUN > Type "msconfig" (without the " ") > OK > go to the "Startup" tab. Everything checked are programs that will boot up when your computer start.

Uncheck any that you know FOR SURE you dont need, then click Apply then OK. It will ask you to reboot the computer.
Once you reboot your computer, check that box that pop up to "ok" what you just did. If you dont check the box and just click OK then you didnt do the change.

***Some programs are kinda hard to know what they are. If you dont know what that program is, google the name and it will tell you. After you google it and still dont know, dont check it and ask one of use.***

Also it wouldnt hurt to defrag your computer.
seems a bit better once i defrag but still not like before.

once you press enter on the windows logon...it takes like maybe 30-60 secs before you see ur windows icon. but sometimes it loads right up?

it used to be instant once you press enter on the log in. but now its been a bit slow for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
did you check msconfig? You probably have approximately 10 to 15 items in your startup section. Disable everything and try a reboot like Superakuma suggested. It should be much faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5gencivic said:
did you check msconfig? You probably have approximately 10 to 15 items in your startup section. Disable everything and try a reboot like Superakuma suggested. It should be much faster.
yea i undid a few that i know...and its better after defrag too

but i still have a problem..after for example i put the system on standby and come back in...the whole system will not respond and i end up having to pull the power on it. so once i get back in from standby mode...non of my programs will load like IE, Messengers, or Firefox..plus when u try to shutdown it wont shutdown just sits there forever.

wtf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm weird i restored my computer last week and it fixed this problem..so i dont know if its the install and uninstall i did for the many different dvd burn programs that caused the standby problem or the defragmentation i did that cause this.

very werd...ill probraly hold off now for the defrag till next month.

any ideas? does restore "undefrag" my drive? or it stays defrag since i did it before the restore?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
i hey guys, i did the MSCONFIG thing & want ya'lls help on what i can uncheck

EngUtil
DrgtoDsc
RxMon
QOELoader
CAVTray - belongs to anit-virus
CAVRid - same
PPActiveDetection - popup blocker
jusched
realsched
SOUNDMAN
ca - also anti-virus
qttask
MSMSGS
aim
YahooM~1
MS Office
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarriedWithKid said:
i hey guys, i did the MSCONFIG thing & want ya'lls help on what i can uncheck

EngUtil
DrgtoDsc
RxMon
QOELoader
CAVTray - belongs to anit-virus
CAVRid - same
PPActiveDetection - popup blocker
jusched
realsched
SOUNDMAN
ca - also anti-virus
qttask
MSMSGS
aim
YahooM~1
MS Office
aim, yahoom, ms office,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
i did that, instinctively, but now at reboot, a window pops up telling me i need to restore the "Normal" boot up. it has a box to check so that the Service Utility window won't pop up again. after i click on [close], it asks me to [Restart or Exit w/out Restart] do i check that or what now?

btw, the EngUtil - RxMon - DrgToDsc belongs to Roxio CD Creator. i can check those OFF if i want, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
EngUtil - Not sure what this is. google this name and find out what it is.
DrgtoDsc - Get rid of it.
RxMon
QOELoader
CAVTray - belongs to anit-virus
CAVRid - same
PPActiveDetection - popup blocker
jusched
realsched - Get rid of it.
SOUNDMAN - Get rid of it.
ca - also anti-virus
qttask - Get rid of it.
MSMSGS - Get rid of it.
aim - Get rid of it.
YahooM~1 - Get rid of it.
MS Office - Get rid of it.

That window telling you to do a normal bootup is nothign. Just ignore it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
google for a program called "whats running" it should be free to DL then use that to edit ur startup programs it even has a button to click if you arent sure what something is and will tell you exactly what it is and if it is ok to shut it off plus it has other extra stuff like lets u see whats accessing ur internet etc etc pretty nice program imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
AutoRuns

This utility is free and updated regularly; it will show you all the things that are started when windows boots.

BootVis will help optimize the driver and system file load up.

Turn off the windows startup sound in the control panel. While you're at it, turn of the exit windows one too, to shorten the shutdown time as well.

YMMV
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top