Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the UK and dont know much about SPLIT FIRE. So therefore i am asking all you amercian honda memebers the following question:

I have recently purchased Triple Platinum Split Fire Spark Plugs with Triple Core High Performance Ignition Lead Set. This in total cost me $166. I bought them for my Honda Civic VTi (SIR in USA), double over head cam engine.

Now i dont know whether these perform better then the standard plugs and wire set by HONDA. Are the NOLOGY ignition leads better then the Split Fire ?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Whatever you do DO NOT get splitfires. They are absolutley the WORST spark plugs you can get. Within a few miles of putting them in the tips will break off inside your engine. Nology plugs are probally pretty shitty too. Just stick with what honda reccomends: NGK. Honda ignition systems are built to use NGK plugs, not some other 'high performance' plug. The splitfires will do NOTHING for performance, and fuck up your ignition curve.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I've heard negative things about them also, and in any case the principle which they say is supposed to make them "more powerful" is not really factual. Any of those plugs with 2, 3, or 4 tips don't perform any better because they cant! Electricity seeks the path of least resistance, therefore it will gap to the tip that offers it the least resistance, it will not jump to all of the tips at once.

Also, contrary to what people believe, platinum plugs are not higher performance than regular plugs either, in fact copper plugs will deiver higher spark energy as copper is a better electrical conduit. Platinum is used by manufacturers because it lasts longer then copper so they can advertise long durations between tuneups. Sorry to burst your bubble! :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts