Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thank you for at least taking interest in my post. Well here is my dilemma. I have acquired a pair of German made Hella horns http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77573 I was thinking that if I could take the stock horn off and find or make some type of bracket that could hold the two horns it would be very cool to have 118dbB to tell the bad drivers hear in Seattle that I mean business or be herd over there sound system. Also it says that they just plug into the existing wiring but there are two, so would it be possible to bridge into the existing power supply and make them work at full power? I bought these knowing that I would have to do some sort of custom work to fit them but that is something I like to do but right now I can’t think of any ideas. Thanks once agene for reading and any info is guidance would be a great help.

· Registered
134 Posts
the power should be no problem, you should be able to just tap both of them off of the 12v source there. I just used a clamp-on type of connector rather than solder like I normally do.

as far as the mounting goes. I replaced my horn, but that was easy. For 2 horns, depending on how big they are, you might want to get a piece of 1.5" wide holed metal cut to size. I was able to mount it using existing holes in the bumper in front of the radiator using standard bolts. I used an L shaped cross sectional piece to mount my fog lights behind my air dam and it holds them rock solid. then you could in essence mount as many horns and lights as you want.

oh yeah, remember to ground the horn too.

depending on weather I'm planning on eventually getting picts up, but its cold now so I won't be.:)

· Registered
290 Posts
LX98Civic said:
Anyone know what the stock horns are at in db's?

Is 118 that loud :confused:
A decibel rating of 120 is equivelant to the sound of a Jet taking off. You need ear protection for ratings around 90 and over if you are in that area for a long period of time.

BlueSi:

As far as the wiring goes, I am not sure if it is such a good idea to splice both horns in off the same feed as your existing horn. One horn would likely be ok, but two might have enough draw to start blowing your fuse. What I would do is interpose a relay in the the circuit. The site you put the link up on talks about doing that and it is the smart thing to do. This way you can take the power feed directly off the battery and with the right size of relay you need not worry about blowing your fuse in your fuse panel.

118db's should blow people away. You might want to think about getting yourself a set of ear plugs! :)

· Registered
344 Posts
The stock horn sucks! Such a weak sound and u gotta hit the ever so little buttons. Whomever thought of that, was dropped on their head as a baby. Situation: The following may be a dramazation...
Driver: "Oh man, were gonna crash, that guys doesn't see us"
Passenger: "Hurry find those 2 tiny buttons on the steering wheel and press them"

STUPID

· Registered
2,988 Posts
1Fast99Si said:
The stock horn sucks! Such a weak sound and u gotta hit the ever so little buttons. Whomever thought of that, was dropped on their head as a baby. Situation: The following may be a dramazation...
Driver: "Oh man, were gonna crash, that guys doesn't see us"
Passenger: "Hurry find those 2 tiny buttons on the steering wheel and press them"

STUPID
WTF :p :confused:

I like the small buttons ....rather have them then the big f**ker in the center of the steering wheel :)

· Registered
290 Posts
LX98Civic said:

WTF :p :confused:

I like the small buttons ....rather have them then the big f**ker in the center of the steering wheel :)
I agree, you can toot the horn with one hand with the small buttons. The big button requires a second hand to operate. I owned cars with both and I prefer the small buttons to the big as well.

· Registered
298 Posts
In an emergency, you don't want your hand off the wheel.

You can still steer and hit a little button with your thumb. You gotta take a hand off the wheel to hit a big one.

Here's a decibel scale for ya:

Source Intensity Intensity
Level
# Times
Greater Than TOH

Threshold of Hearing (TOH) 0 dB
Rustling Leaves 10 dB
Whisper 20 dB
Normal Conversation 60 dB
Busy Street Traffic 70 dB
Vacuum Cleaner 80 dB
Large Orchestra 98 dB
Walkman at Maximum Level 100 dB
Front Rows of Rock Concert 110 dB
Threshold of Pain 130 dB
Military Jet Takeoff 140 dB
Instant Perforation of Eardrum 160 dB

· Registered
504 Posts
I installed the El Grande (advance auto parts 20.00) it's a duel horn system and it's damn loud! It's got the Cadilac sound in a honda package. I give this product a double thumbs up!
Use the stock wiring, just splice into the connection and your done. hell if you feel carzy leave the stock horn connected
:D bigger is better;)

· Registered
290 Posts
speedlife said:
will these horns be louder if you run it to battery as opposed to an existing stock wiring?
They are only going to draw as much power as they need so direct from the battery or not it won't matter. The real issue might be whether the stock harness allows for enough draw to operate the horns. If you don't have enough power there it will be blowing the fuse out everytime you sound the horn.

· Registered
290 Posts
speedlife said:
i had these on before and no fuse blows but would it be louder if it goes to battery?
No, the power all comes from the same place, the battery. If you have it wired direct or thru the harness it makes no difference.

It is conceivably possible to have a voltage drop because the added length of wiring thru the harness could add extra resistance. But we are not talking about miles of extra length here so the added resistance would be Nil. My best guess is that you would not notice a difference.

· Registered
604 Posts
SiNergy said:
I installed the El Grande (advance auto parts 20.00) it's a duel horn system and it's damn loud! It's got the Cadilac sound in a honda package. I give this product a double thumbs up!
Use the stock wiring, just splice into the connection and your done. hell if you feel carzy leave the stock horn connected
:D bigger is better;)
Reeeealy? I didn't have much faith in Advance Autoparts products. I may give this a try.

· Registered
432 Posts
Speaking of horns, do you know what an NSX horn sounds like? I would hope that in a 90k car the horn sounds a little more impressive than a Civic. What exactly is it in the factory horn that makes the distinctive sound? Is it the actual horn or is it a unit? Does anyone know how exactly one would go about obtaining and installing an NSX horn in an Si? Can I get it from an Acura dealer (pay out the ass I'm sure). I tried a bunch of "Acura parts online" places and either they didn't reply (big surprise) or didn't carry it.

I know it sounds pretty retarded, and it is. but.. well.. I have a dream. I can dream can't I?

· Registered
13 Posts
I love people that give advise on things they have never done. :rolleyes:

This is not plug and play. you must use a Relay.
Heres my setup. 4 horns from a Cadillac.
Damn loud I guarantee.

I used a fog light relay/wiring kit. pretty easy.
Finding space for 4 horns is the hard part, but worth it. :D

It works awesome, ask a Soccermom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.