Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the longest time I had been turned off to Hondas by the fast and furious craze. With nearly half the cars in my town sporting a 10ft tall spoiler or an obnoxious something or other, it had always seemed like one bandwagon I was going to let pass.. Ironically, the huge cult following which I had originaly despised, has created such terrific aftermarket support that I have decided to go with either a Civic hatch or a CRX for my next project/daily driver/weekend autocrosser. I am very interested in using a J-Spec D15b VTEC motor for this project. If anyone could give me any information in terms of: Links to any walkthroughs (swap wise) or opinions or suggestions.. Basically i need ideas on what i should be "search"ing for.. It would be greatly appreciated
Keith
87 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
First off, I welcome you to SHO. Just stay out of off-topic and stray away from the post whores and you should be fine. J/k. Well If i were you and I was Autocrossing, I would definently go for the B16A, not the elusive "Ebay JDM D15B VTEC" motor. B16A is 160 horses and has ALOT better aftermarket support than d series. so for alittle bit more you have the security of upgrading to sweet aftermarket parts, and its got 30 more horses. Just my own opinion. I am sure if you search you can find alot of threads on swaps into CRXs and hatches.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
BurntRubber87 said:
First off, I welcome you to SHO. Just stay out of off-topic and stray away from the post whores and you should be fine. J/k. Well If i were you and I was Autocrossing, I would definently go for the B16A, not the elusive "Ebay JDM D15B VTEC" motor. B16A is 160 horses and has ALOT better aftermarket support than d series. so for alittle bit more you have the security of upgrading to sweet aftermarket parts, and its got 30 more horses. Just my own opinion. I am sure if you search you can find alot of threads on swaps into CRXs and hatches.

yea, the jdm d15b is a sweet engine, but it's not really what you're looking for if you wanna do autocross. for a some more money, you could get more horses and a much bigger range of parts. check out www.hmotorsonline.com they gots everything, oh, and welcome.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Im happy with my b16a. Its been in and running smooth since last august. I like it. Once its warmed up, its got a good amount of pull for what it is. And for auto-x, it will be great, since you will keep the revs up.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
you can build yourself one of the least riciest cars in the world and fall in love with it...

you can Love a Honda....or hate one....but don't hate the one you own and you'll be fine :tu

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
the D15B three stage VTEC is definitely a good motor, but if you're grabbing it for the power, just find a good D16Z6 or D16Y8. either will be much easier to find because they were the factory motors on the EX civics (Z6 on '92-'95, and Y8 on '96-'00). there are a lot of turbo and supercharger kits out there that can make a Z6 or Y8 push vastly more power than a stock B series swap too, just something to consider.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
dont shy away from building a D series,the parts for them are cheap as hell and aftermarket support is great also.

IMO get a 91ish CRX SI,put a 96-00 civic ex head,intake manifold,ecu on it also called a "mini-me"

With the CRX D16 internals and the D16Y8 head your C/R should hang around 11.5 to 1 or so and that plus Vtec will put a healthy does of power to the CRX and will do nothing but feed your apitight to mod it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a couple reasons the d15b caught my attention: First of all was the price, at 450-600 bucks i would be saving enough over a B-Series motor that I could find a shell to put it (the motor) in.. Since I am on a tight budget, this is my primary concern. Second is stage I (vtec-e) lean burn mode in which the d15b is operating on 12 valves and getting me 50mpg. And as far as the autocrossing is concerned I would rather use my money to upgrade the suspension and brakes, and if I get really good maybe go turbo or B-Series later.. I still have my Supra for putting me in the back of my seat, I would like a Honda so I (my passengers) can make good use of the "oh Shit!" handles while also maintaing killer reliability.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
yeah, th D16Y8 and D16Z6 can both be had for between $300 and $600. the stage 1 VTEC is pretty cool, but i'm just wary on supply you know? plus i read somewhere (i think it was one of Kommon Sense's posts) that the D15B motor basically has the same internals as the D15B7 motor. as much as i love my DX, the motor sucks, and the internals are a major reason (way too fragile).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts