Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Without hearing the audio, I can already see a couple of things you didn't do, so I can see why they wanted to suspend you as it would apply if you worked at another law enforcement agency. You weren't wearing a reflective vest, you weren't using a traffic wand or cone on your flashlight, and you weren't using a whistle. Most importantly, the agency never has trained anyone to throw their flashlight, that's a CYA on the agency's part. I can see that you were trying to get the driver's attention in order to avoid getting hit or to prevent a t-bone accident.

I don't know how it turned out, but hopefully it didn't burn you too much. Stay safe.
I got a week taken off, the board justified the use of my flashlight as a weapon. And without knowing the whole story of what occurred, your opinion is flawed. I was not directing traffic out there for 99% of the crash investigation. We had two patrol cars blocking the entire road forcing people to turn. I had no traffic control duty, i was investigating the crash, so i didn't have that equipment with me. Some people were being really dense so I figured I could get them across really quickly. So since I popped out really quick to be a nice guy. Thats when this happened. I was out there 45 min at least before this occurred. They don't give us whistles. This was a two lane road with another lane for turning. I already had a car stopped in the turn lane and the outside lane without issue. This girl came barreling down and drove right through those cars. They wrote me up for "willful neglect" for not putting my vest on before directing traffic. I still don't know how my actions were "willful." I never said "i thought about putting my vest on, but decided against it." I simply acted to help a motorist. This was a new Sheriff and from what I heard from the appeals board, they didnt want to totally buck the new sheriff, so i still got a week off.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Okay. The video just started off with you doing traffic direction.
I can see how they could bone you on the willful neglect just going by SOP/agency rules/training.
I would advocate for whistles for officer safety during traffic direction. That's just me. It would get attention sooner than a thrown flashlight.
It was a 16 year old girl with the music loud in her car and she was texting, nothing would have helped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.