Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I've noticed under my hood, there was some noticble coolant leak. I didnt think much untill today while driving, the thermostate needle pointed all the way up to hot. So I pulled over and poped the hood, and i noticed the reservoir was boiling, or bubbling, while coolant was spraying out of the reservoir. Luckily I was only two blocks away from my house and I drove the car home. So i've been wondering what it could be. I been doing some searching and found that it could be the following:

Headgasket: If it was the head gasket, the symptoms would be: white milky stuff on the oil cap, white smoke out of the tail pipe, exhaust has a sweet smell, or by doing a oil change, a noticable coolant and oil mixture. But the car doesnt have any of the symptoms. The only thing I havent tested is actually flusing the oil. I did check the oil w/ the dipstick didnt really notice any unsuall color. Could I have an early sign of blown headgasket still?

Water pump?

Thermostat?

I dont have any leaks anywhere, even where I park daily. I havent done a pressure test.

What could it be? What causes the reservoir to bubble??

THanks

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
could be the thermostat, could be the fan isn't running, could be a blown head gasket

i would top off the coolant tomorrow and start it back up and wait for it to start to get hot, if the fan kicks on you can rule out that being the possibility

sounds like it might be the head gasket though, it you try to start it after it has been sitting and it has trouble turning over or misses when it starts then that is probably your problem

·
Registered
817 Posts
Clogged radiator, or stuck thermo would be the most likely culprits, other than a huge airlock (which can happen sometimes with honda's if you don't follow coolant bleeding procedure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you can start your car run it after say 2 or 3 minutes grab your uppper radiatior hose if its cold or warm but is hard to squeese start pulling your head

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
if it went all the way to the red on hot chances are the gasket is toast.....i know, ive seen me do it, except when i did it, it blew off the upper rad hose, and sprayed coolant through the cowl all over my windshield :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
could be cooling fans, thermostat, low on coolant, it could be a bunch of things but i believe if it was your water pump it would pretty much break the car before the pump stoped turning. My friend had a water pump go out and it was knocking around and leaking for 2 months cause he wouldnt listen to me and change it so it finally seized up and broke his timing belt and took some valves with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts