Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm about to buy one of two Asus computers to replace my aging and dying desktop. Their prices are similar and the specs are exactly identical except for the processors. Which one is faster for multimedia graphic work (CS4 suite) and light gaming? (COD n RTS stuff) I realize the i5 will be upgradable for years to come and has ddr3 ram, but only has 2 physical cores. I used to know hardware, but haven't built or kept up with stuff since the ide to sata switch and these new i cores are confusing.

These are the two Im trying to decide on. The i5 had a free shipping code and the Q8300 would've been $10 more after shipping. I've ordered refurbished stuff from both of them before - hope this one works out too.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=CG5275-AR003-PB-R&cpc=RESX

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5753579&CatId=5138

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
the 3.2 is faster of course, thoguht you will have to look at system bus speeds to determine which is better suited.

have you looked at benchmarks of both processors?

I guess I would get the core i5, 700mhz more. its not like the old days of the pentiums where even at 4ghz they were beaten by a 1.8 amd

tech has improved

·
Banned
41,336 Posts
the 3.2 is faster of course, thoguht you will have to look at system bus speeds to determine which is better suited.

have you looked at benchmarks of both processors?

I guess I would get the core i5, 700mhz more. its not like the old days of the pentiums where even at 4ghz they were beaten by a 1.8 amd
tech has improved
:lmao

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
true story, intel thought they could win with low busspeeds and huge clocks

amd was like fuck being fast if I can do bandwidth

look at ram today, amd still likes low latency while intel loves the clock for bandwidth

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pass mark rates the Q8300 higher, but doesn't really break down that score beyond a number. Anandtech shows speeds for different programs, some using more cores or threads, but they only have the Q8400 and Q8200. I'm thinking the Q8300 would just be their average, so it's generally slower on MOST processes...

I went ahead and ordered the i5 - hope the OS is actually 64 bit since it comes with 8 gigs - or does that matter with the new i cores, Win 7, and DDR3 stuff?

·
Banned
41,336 Posts
I would assume it matters enough to make sure you get a 64bit OS, or not. I have both at work and it doesnt make a difference to me unless youre installing something (im sure tehre is more to it but thats the only hic up ive ever came across myself)

Im sure Matt Liston knows everything you need to know

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
32bit uses up to 4 gigs of ram, Id put money on it being a 64bit OS if one is even included

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
haha you guys are fucking great. the i5 is where its at but I would have gone with the i7 its bad ass. there is more to just how much ram can be utilized between 32bit os and a 64bit os yeah 32 can only support 4gigs and 64 can support 8 but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I found a site around here somewhere that has the differences, I'll see if I can dig it up

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
64 bit can use up to 128gigs of ram and beyond

most people dont rock 10 grand servers though :lmao

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
But if you are running ddr3, I believe 6 gigs of ram would be more efficient than 8 gigs of ram, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
not all motherboards support tri channel, so he might not need to consider that

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
haha you guys are fucking great. the i5 is where its at but I would have gone with the i7 its bad ass. there is more to just how much ram can be utilized between 32bit os and a 64bit os yeah 32 can only support 4gigs and 64 can support 8 but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I found a site around here somewhere that has the differences, I'll see if I can dig it up
yea the i7's are awesome. triple channel ddr3 ram, hyperthreading, etc.

oh, and having eight logical cores.... is fucking awesome for people who do any kind of rendering/converting/ripping/designing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts