Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a close friend of mine has a 93 VW Corrado that has 140,000 Kms on the clock - but completely stock.

He wants to take on my 2000 5th gen base 5 speed w/ 47,000Kms. The lude has an AEM intake, and new Mugen exhaust.

I think it'll be tough - the Rado is in good shape and feels strong, although aging a little. They do age well though.

Stock 1/4 miles are almost identical for both cars, but the Rado has the torque advantage....We're old farts so we dont race :D - just thought it would be a good match?

Whaddaya think?

V

·
Registered
772 Posts
the prelude will punish his car good. mine is stock and 58k miles and it hauls so much ass. and doesnt stop until 8k rpm.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Dennis316 said:
the prelude will punish his car good. mine is stock and 58k miles and it hauls so much ass. and doesnt stop until 8k rpm.

That is just an opinion.

I think it will be close, 140k miles on a vw engine is nothing. My buddy has a VR6 Corrado and it always seemed to pull pretty well.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
yes the corrado has the torque advantage however it peaks quite early in the powerband. when my friend's 93 corrado vr6 was stock he was shifting at around just before 6k rpm. no point in taking beyond that point because it didnt go any faster. also the corrado is limited to 120mph so if you're going for a highway run you will out run him.

the corrado might get the jump on you from a dig if he had traction control.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the 'Rado is still a kickass car even today. My Lude wont slaughter it.

I almost bought this same car about a year ago for 10K and it's pretty much mint condition. I did drive it for about 10 minutes back then, and your right about the torque. I think they are 175/175 stock and around the same weight as the Lude.

The only thing that I disliked was the shifter throws felt like rowing a boat - nothing an adapter wouldnt cure but still...Also when cruising at higher speeds on the Hiway it got quite noisy and 'shakey'.

The Lude just jamms thru the air at the same speed - much much quieter however the Lude is a 2000 - the Rado a 93.

I'm sitting at 150Kmph in 3rd just touching the redline before shifting into 4th so from there on, I think I'd take the Rado - just not off the line. Hard to say - it'll be a goodun. Not many Rados out there to compare with. Rare car here.

Hopefully soon we can make time to have the final showdown. I really want to get some movie clips on it also. So we are looking at ways to do that without adding an extra person.

For those that haven't heard a Mugen exhaust going full bore - this will be your chance :)

We dont generally race - we're just a couple of guys that appreciate decent imports & thought the two cars would be a pretty good match. We have some decent places here that are unpopulated for the showdown.

Police are VERY ugly with street racing here, as too many people have been killed recently. For the most part they have been innocent passers by with familys. Something we dont want to be associated with. If we both crash and burn - it'll be just us. Our own stupid fault.

It seems like almost every day I turn on the TV and someone else has been killed. They then proceed to show a Honda, or other import, with a nitrous bottle or something in it etc etc...Then we all get tarred with the same brush.

Anyway...just something I wanted to get off my chest I guess so my apologies there.

Now....I have to shut up this Corrado buddy of mine once and for all :)

V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.