Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an idea of what all I need and how much money I need to save, im doing the work myself just so yall know.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Figure on about $1000 including engine, freight, ECU, various parts (waterpump, timing belt, plugs, wires, etc) and the little stuff that you find out you need when you do a large project like tools and stuff.

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx alot, does anyone know where the best place to purchase a ZC motor is, i was thinking about nippon motors.

·
Registered
691 Posts
People lately haven't been to happy with Nippon. Try Soko (www.soko.com). Their website sucks, but give them a call. The ZC I got from them was pretty clean and is strong. They also had fast shipping with it taking less than 7 days to get to my door.

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought mine at Nippon motors and it was ok. Got a broken si tranny. I got another one. Standard broken TPS. I would buy lots of tune up parts. I spent lots of money on my swap. But I'm glad I did. Take the time to do it right. But I would try SOKO first.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
when you've got it apart might as well do a clutch and motor mounts and downpipe gaskets.......

·
Registered
209 Posts
A word of caution about purchasing your ZC. Everyone I called about this engine stated unless you are putting this engine in a JDM CRX, there is no warranty. They claim a warranty till you read the fine print. Everyone (Nippon Motors, Colorado Engines, Sun Japenese Engines) all said that they consider this motor going into a USDM CRX to be a race motor and will void all warranties. I had an oil pressure problem with mine when I first cranked mine up. I was lucky and caught it early enough before any damage was done. Just so you wil know, this is what it would cost to do the swap in a CRX...

Engine only - $600.00 (included shiiping)

You will want to replace ALL of the external gaskets as they are all dry rotted....

Valve Cover Gasket (89 Teg) - $ 20.00
Spark Plug Boot gaskets - 4 (89 teg) - $20.00
Oil Pan gasket (86-89 Teg) $ 18.00
Rear Main seal gasket (89 Teg) $ 22.00
Intake Gasket (89 teg) $24.00
Exhaust gasket (89 Teg) $20.00
Crank Angle Sensor O Ring gasket (89 teg) - $8.00
Distributor O Ring gasket (89 teg) - $8.00
Front Crank Main seal (89 teg) - $18.00

Timing Belt (88 prelude) - $35.00
Alternator Belt - $16.00
ALL hoses including vacuum lines- approx $60.00 worth
Thermostat and gasket (89 teg) - $15.00

ECU - 88-89 Teg - $200-100

Clutch set (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing) - $250-350

Throttle body from an Si - TPS sensor will be broken on ZC, so a Si one can be found in a junkyard - same throttle bodies - $25-75

New O2 Sensor - $75-35

Spark Plugs - $30-10
Plug Wires- $75-25
Cap & Rotor - $20.00

Oil change - $20.00

Total......$1434.00 - including engine

Hope this doesn't scare you, but this is what it takes. Good luck...

:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Overall with a bazillion tune up parts I bought, and installation I paid about $3,500. What TEG1CRX2 said is about right for prices too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Man, you guys are paranoid, I have done three ZC swaps from Nippon. None of them had anything wrong with them other than dist cap, and TPS sensor. The two ZC's I have done for myself cost me under 1g each including timing belt and clutch. I dont much care for the automatic ZC's that Nippon has been dishing out lately though..... they all throw codes when wired up like normal, and you have to switch around all three plugs on the intake manifold to make them not surge. Call Nippon, but specify you want one with a flywheel(post five speed).

·
Registered
691 Posts
My ZC is an auto and I didn't have to do any special wiring at all other than the normal distributor stuff, and does not throw any codes at all.

Of course there are two vacuum lines on the back of the intake manifold that you have to seal off, but that is it.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts