Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm mobbing on the highway up 95 north going on my first longdistance ride in my car..... next thing ya know nothing but smoke and loss of power!!! i'm thinking wtf!!! oil pressure down to zero!! so for 25 min i was trying to think of all possibilities of me having to dish out big bucks to fix my fucked up motor cause i couldnt find a flash light... so i get the flash light and the first thing i do is check to find a leak... i couldnt see that much oil in the engine bay so i checked the dip stick and it was full... then i looked at my turbo to make sure that wasnt messed up... another sigh of relief so then i checked the seals to the head gasket then sure enough there was a leak on the distributor side.... so i then checked the spark plugs... nothing but oil!! headgasket for sure and some spark plug seals???

this is the first time this has ever happened to me guys!! how easy is it to replace the headgasket and could there be anything else wrong??? any help will be glady appreciated!!! thanks for looking......

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
your signature is just way too big. please size down.

the headgasket isn't something you want to do by yourself the very first time. it's easy if you know what you're doing, just very tedious and time consuming. if your spark plugs are swimming in oil, then it's the spark plug gaskets between the head and valve cover. i don't think it would be the headgasket unless your oil and coolant are mixing. if you're making smoke, what color is it? if it's gray and bluish in color, it'd be coolant burning and yah, it could be your headgasket. if it's gray, it's the oil and it actually could be your rings too since the seal between the spark plugs and combustion chamber is really good. you'll have to run a compression check to really see if anything's wrong.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:

the headgasket isn't something you want to do by yourself the very first time. it's easy if you know what you're doing, just very tedious and time consuming. if your spark plugs are swimming in oil, then it's the spark plug gaskets between the head and valve cover. i don't think it would be the headgasket unless your oil and coolant are mixing. if you're making smoke, what color is it? if it's gray and bluish in color, it'd be coolant burning and yah, it could be your headgasket. if it's gray, it's the oil and it actually could be your rings too since the seal between the spark plugs and combustion chamber is really good. you'll have to run a compression check to really see if anything's wrong.

When the headgasket went in my truck, it went in such a way that the coolant just leaked out the side of the block, without mixing with anything. Its possible that something similar is happening here. It could also be smoke from oil or coolant dripping onto the exhaust or something similar. Since he said he has no oil pressure, the car is a lame duck anyway.

Is the gauge a "real gauge" or an "idiot gauge" type?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

UltraMagneticAL said:

it was at night so i never got a chance to see the color of the smoke, but tried really hard to distinguish the color as i was pulling off the road... my car cant start so i will have to get it towed to the shop... thanks for the help i will most def get on it come monday..

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
You say you lost oil pressure, lost power, and chugged a bunch of smoke out?
Then you pulled the plugs and they are soaked in oil? Hmmm, its turboed, how much boost are you running? Were you under boost when it happend? What kind of gas were you running? I'm going to put $10 on internal engine damage, never heard of a head gasket blowing and then losing oil pressure right away, and if I did hear that I would call bullsh*t on it. I think you will be quite pissed when you do a compression check.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my mistake

valve cover gasket, not head gasket.... happened right after i let go on the gas while getting into the right hand lane.. doing about 90 when i released on the gas.. running of 15lbs, loss of power and my sparkplugs are full of oil!!!

i tried starting my car this morning and the car starts up and idles fine, oil pressure and so forth.. when i step on the gas and try to rev it up the car dies out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts