Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TO begin, im really new to these forums and after reading some posts, I find this Honda/ Acura community to be friendly compared to everyone else which is why i joined up today :number1 .

Anyways, im beginning to worry about the Honda Civic i purchased about a month ago. Its beginning to burn oil like there no tommorow, about a bottle every 475kms which is a lot compared to the Neon i just traded it for (i know shame on me for buying a neon). IM wondering what it could be?.....it isnt leaking by no means (ie no oil in any areas i park), I cant see blue smoke even in direct sunlight so I aint sure what it is. What I can see is that the left side of the engine is considerably blacker than the right side which Im not sure means any thing but I guess it should be noted. Any ideas? Its a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe with a D15B 1.5L SOHC non-VTEC according to another thread in this forum.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Welcome to SHO!

Burning oil is caused by bad piston rings or bad valve seals. Run a leak down test if you want to know whether it is one or the other.
http://www.team-integra .net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1129
Remove the space before ".net" and check out the link.

Either way, if you're replacing one, you might as well replace the other. You will also have to replace the head gasket since you wil be removing the head, and you might as well replace the bearings while the head is off. Too bad it's not worth it to rebuild a non-VTEC D series, whether you do it yourself or pay a shop. I recommend getting a JDM D15b or B series.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome gokujin. :) yes i agree this is a good forum. people do try and help here and won't flame ya for a silly question, yes i have asked a few, ok alot of them. so what plans do you have for your car. i have the 95 coupe myself and just put springs and shocks on it, what a differance it made in the ride. and good luck with your motor, mine has 225,000 and still running strong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 90 civic with 250k and it was doin the same thing,try checking under the distributor if its oily under it then it might be leaking through the distributors O-Ring if it is then just change the O-Ring, that fixed my problem.....i guess it would leak through there when the car was running cuz it never left oil on the ground.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
98civcEK said:
well if the side of the motor is darker than the other.....a gasket somewhere is leaking. my car never dripped oil but the oil pan gasket was leaking and it was noticeable on the pan itself.
werd. this is tons cheaper to start out on than replacing internal engine seals or entire engines for that matter. on these d series, the distributor seal is NOTORIOUS for going bad. ive replaced them on both of my hondas, and another lady at work honda whose was leaking also. they run about
$2 from local auto parts store and can be changed in 5-10 minutes.

just pop out a flashlight and try to source where the oil is coming from. if you cant see any colored/more smoke coming out, especially when you hit the gas, i seriously doubt its an internal engine seal. if you even smell anything, its probably just dripping onto the exhaust and burning away. also look into replacing the valve cover gasket. this would run about $25 and also takes about 10 minutes to change.

to change distributor seal:
-disconnect neg. battery terminal.
-remove spark plug wires from distributor. make sure they stay in the wire holder so you know which wires go to which termianls on the distributor.
-etch a line from the top of the distributor to the other side where it connects to on the side of the valve cover.(this will help you replace your distribuotr in the correct position so you dont mess up your ignition timing.)
-take a socket wrench, prepare to get your hands dirty. get the proper size socket. there are 3 bolts holding on the distributor. on in front, one on top, and on in the lower/back area. remove them all.
-remove distributor
-some oil will spill out. on the end of the distributor that you just pulled out,(you may need to wipe it clean to see better) there will be a small rubber gasket just like the new one you bought. you will have to slide it off, or in most cases, cut it and pull it off.
-put new seal on.
-reverse instructions to replace distributor.
-before tightening bolts, ensure the etchings you made earlier are aligned perfectly to ensure proper ignition timing.
-connect battery.

-not necessary, but recommended to spray down the area under the distributor and all the oil that has leaked, so that you may observe over some time the leak process and whether or not you fixed it.

to change valve cover gasket:
-remove 5 bolts on top of valve cover.(keep in mind the top ones are slightly longer than the bottom ones i believe.)
-remove the old rubber gasket surrounding the inside of the valve cover.
-carefully! replace with new gasket.
-replace bolts, do not overtighten. they snap easy. ive done it.
-again, spray down to observe if any leaks aRE still present.

WELCOME TO SHO!

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
gokujin said:
TO begin, im really new to these forums and after reading some posts, I find this Honda/ Acura community to be friendly compared to everyone else which is why i joined up today :number1 .

Anyways, im beginning to worry about the Honda Civic i purchased about a month ago. Its beginning to burn oil like there no tommorow, about a bottle every 475kms which is a lot compared to the Neon i just traded it for (i know shame on me for buying a neon). IM wondering what it could be?.....it isnt leaking by no means (ie no oil in any areas i park), I cant see blue smoke even in direct sunlight so I aint sure what it is. What I can see is that the left side of the engine is considerably blacker than the right side which Im not sure means any thing but I guess it should be noted. Any ideas? Its a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe with a D15B 1.5L SOHC non-VTEC according to another thread in this forum.

Thanks in advance
if your losing that much..it has to be going somewhere. either thru the tailpipe or leaking out somewhere

btw remember to use a 1/ ratchet on valve cover nuts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help...gonna look into changing the distrubor rings........and mayhbe the valve cover but hopefully it will fix the problem. Once i get this done, im gonna try the $50 paint job

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
gokujin said:
thanks for all the help...gonna look into changing the distrubor rings........and mayhbe the valve cover but hopefully it will fix the problem. Once i get this done, im gonna try the $50 paint job
my personal opinion i think its more than that for it to burn oil like that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.