Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. a B20Z, thats the engine out of a CRV right? now, is it a B16A or B18C head that mounts directly on the B20Z block? my next question, will this setup mount easilly in a 3rd Gen lude, has anyone heard of this being done or think that it will work? how much power does that setup put out?

·
Registered
226 Posts
why would you want that in a 3rd gen lude, just get an h22? and anything fits with money..but for all practical reasons, no this does not work...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an H22 is too expensive for me right now. i can get a B20Z block for almost nothing.

what won't work? the engine in a 3rd Gen or a VTEC head on a B20Z block? i know this works cause ive heard of it being done before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
both b16 and b18 heads will work. i've got a b16 head on my b20z block...it's been said that the b16 head flows better. as far as putting it in a 3rd gen lude, i don't see why it wouldn't work. i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
why put a motr which puts out less hp and tq...for the price of the b20vtec swap is the same amount of money to get a h22. even if u could get the block for almost nothing. ive seen h22s go fo 2200-2500. h22 also bolts on directly. with a b20 u would hve get custom mouonts and i think u would have to do a lot of re-wiring.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
peabody said:
why put a motr which puts out less hp and tq...for the price of the b20vtec swap is the same amount of money to get a h22. even if u could get the block for almost nothing. ive seen h22s go fo 2200-2500. h22 also bolts on directly. with a b20 u would hve get custom mouonts and i think u would have to do a lot of re-wiring.
when i say i can get a B20Z block for cheap i mean $75. it only has 30K miles on it. one of my friend's dad own a junkyard and he as four B20Z blocks on the yard. now, doesnt a B16 or B18 head cost around $500-600? so why would i do an H22 swap for 3K plus when i could do a B20/VTEC swap for around $1200-1500? the engine thats in there now is a B20A5. whats the difference b/w that block and a B20Z? all that really matters is that the mounting points are similar right?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
if u've heard of it being done before and u know it can then y r u posting asking if its possible? :D lol jk good luck and i have no idea so i cant be of any help :(

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: hehe

B20BbenN said:
hehe, just buy the block and sell it at a higher price! You'll have the cash for the h22.....:D
right...i could sell the block for what...$300 or $400? how would i have cash to buy an H22? id still be like almost a grand short.

·
Registered
506 Posts
rollinlude said:
when i say i can get a B20Z block for cheap i mean $75. it only has 30K miles on it. one of my friend's dad own a junkyard and he as four B20Z blocks on the yard. now, doesnt a B16 or B18 head cost around $500-600? so why would i do an H22 swap for 3K plus when i could do a B20/VTEC swap for around $1200-1500? the engine thats in there now is a B20A5. whats the difference b/w that block and a B20Z? all that really matters is that the mounting points are similar right?
I'll tell you why you shouldn't do it, because its a very care intensive engine, and from the sounds of it, no offense, but I'm not sure you're experienced enough, also the B20/vtec swap is generally for civics and tegs that don't want the extra weight of the H22, so its really not practical for your car at all, and lastly SEARCH, there are so many fucking threads on this and theres the integra sticky

·
Registered
445 Posts
ls/vtec

i have a question about the b16 or GSR head do any of these bolt right up to the existin block or do u have to get it machined......onto the block..............

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok b16/b18c head will bolt up to any b-series vtec block. Now to fit a b16/b18c head on a non-vtec block, You'll need to drill a new dowel hole on the head so that the block will match up with the head. Also you have to remember to tap the oil supply hole.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: ls/vtec

allmotor_integ said:
i have a question about the b16 or GSR head do any of these bolt right up to the existin block or do u have to get it machined......onto the block..............
There have been a couple of guys that have been able to swap a B16 head on the B20A block but it is very hard to do b/c the oil passages are different and require a lot of custom work. Tom Coleman w/ ludespeed.com was the first to do it and said it was just plainly too complicated of a swap. BUT he was able to get out somewhere around 170hp to the wheels and said w/ the a little tuning the swap should be able to produce around 190 hp to the wheels. but he quit making these kits and just stuck w/ his custom turbo kits for the 3rd Gens.

all right, why do yall think this swap, if it were possible to do w/ my car, would not be a good idea? OF COURSE im aware of swapping in an H22, but i just got a quote today from a shop in Concord and they said it would run around 5K for EVERYTHING. motor/trans/ecu/wiring/mounts/install. i just dont have that kind of money right now...plain and simple.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SiBirdie said:
ok b16/b18c head will bolt up to any b-series vtec block. Now to fit a b16/b18c head on a non-vtec block, You'll need to drill a new dowel hole on the head so that the block will match up with the head. Also you have to remember to tap the oil supply hole.
FINALLY...an informative reply. thx dude.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the reason it would be unreliable...
like tom at ludespeed told me,

the bottom 1/2 of the motor is not designed to rev as high as the top end will with a new head...
you're taking a motor that is designed to rev to about 7k, and revving it to 8+... the piston speed will cause the rings to wear out a ton...

that's what i have heard.. so if you rebuild the motor with the correct bottom end parts (rods/pistons/rings) you will have no problems... you just need to design something that will rev like that head you want..

also... you need to make sure, like tom did, that the mating surfaces are perfect... or you'll blow a head gasket...
and the holes you need to drill need to be perfect...

i've also heard of b20z's with ls cams in stock heads.. .but i'm not sure what that makes power wise or if it really works

1 - 16 of 16 Posts