Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 4 gen with a H22A in it a while ago. i wanted to know if there is different versions of the H22A and how to tell which version i got? also, i need to know what oil to put in and about how many quarts it takes? i already know that i want to put Royal Purple in but, i don't know which to put in. thanks

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
spyder06 said:
just bought a 4 gen with a H22A in it a while ago. i wanted to know if there is different versions of the H22A and how to tell which version i got? also, i need to know what oil to put in and about how many quarts it takes? i already know that i want to put Royal Purple in but, i don't know which to put in. thanks
Question 1) Different versions of H22s?: Yeah there are 2 versions of the H22... the Closed deck H22a1 Design and the Open Deck H22a4 design. If your car was originally a VTEC Prelude, then you most likely have an H22a1 under the hood. If it was an S, Si, or a VTEC that blew it's motor, it may have been replaced with an H22a4. The a1 makes 190horsepower, while the a2 makes 195-200 horsepower. That's basically it... besides the JDM versions.

Question 2) How much oil to put it?:Check your owners manual for simple questions like this from now on. 5.1 quarts of oil, I think 5.4 with the filter. Put in 5, then a little bit more, run it, check it, and add as needed.

Question 3) Royal Purple: If you're planning on using any synthetic motor oil I would advise extreme caution. Depending on the mileage of your motor, there may be "oil sludge" plugging tiny holes in your gaskets. When switching to synthetic, the new oil will actually begin to eat away these deposits rapidly, which could leave you with a ton of tiny holes all over the place. My suggestion is this: Running Synthetic Oil already? Keep going with it. Running on Dinosaur Juice? Keep going with it. No need to open up a can of worms for a possible 1 horsepower gain from using Royal Purple.

~Peace

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i all ready new about the u.s. H22's. its a prelude si that has a jdm engine swap that has H22A right on the engine. so none of that helped me any.

i am not sure if it has synthetic in it or not the guy never told me. it looks like regular old oil to me. is there anyway to tell the difference?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
spyder06 said:
i all ready new about the u.s. H22's. its a prelude si that has a jdm engine swap that has H22A right on the engine. so none of that helped me any.
so you have an h22a. what else do you want to know?

how much oil do you need? check the dip stick as you fill the car with oil

all this crap is searchable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.