Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in may, i got those fake xenon bulbs for my car. i put them in and had no trouble from them all summer. in december, one of them burned out. i replaced both with the origonal bulbs cus i didnt want one bright and one dull. then i bought another pair of the xenon's, thinking the burned out one was a dud. a week or 2 after i put those in, one burned out. i replaced it with the one i had left over from the origonal xenons i bought. about a week later, one of them burned out. so i now have one working fake xenon out of the 4 i bought. whats up with this? the wattage on the bulbs is 100 and i kno the teg is supposed to have 55 watt bulbs, but the first xenons i got were fine all through the summer. could it be the cold thats causing them to die? also, we've had very weird weather around here in the past month or so (5 below zero one day, 65 the next, etc) does that have anything to do with it? or should i just stop buying these bulbs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You may have corrosion in the sockets and not making good contact. This can cause premature wear and blowout of bulbs. Clean them out real good and use some dielectric grease. Be sure not to touch the bulb glass (ever!) and don't get any of the dielectric grease on the glass.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i get this grease?

·
Registered
626 Posts
those bulbs are cheap....

ive been through a few sets myself... so i just gave up and put my stock ones back in.... they've worked for 4 years now.. lol

save up and buy a jobber HID kit or something.. lol

·
Registered
747 Posts
most fake xenon bulbs are crap. a buddy of mine has had pretty good luck with the PIAA Super Plasmas though. i think he's had them for about a year and a half now. no problems at all....

·
Registered
941 Posts
you do get what you pay for....piaa's are nice but cost an arm and a leg. Stockers or even a 9005 conversion will be what you need

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I've had the PIAA Superwhite low beams (bought slightly used no less) and they've worked great for 3 1/2 years now! And here in Seattle, I get to use the headlights a lot since it's cloudy so often. To me at least, $30-40 each isn't too bad.

Silvania Silverstars as mentioned above are also good. Neither of these are very blue at all, Silverstars are slightly blue while my PIAAs are just plain (very) bright white.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
dont waste your time/money with those xenon POS.
stick with:
PIAA
silverstars

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I have silverstars ive had mine for about six months but I was careful not to touch the bulb at all. They are pretty bright and have a slight blue tint to them.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
this is my 2nd set of piaas. they cost an arm and a leg, but they last longer. my car is 4 years old and not bad considering i went thru 4 years with no probs...

it's better then spending 30 bucks at a time many times =P

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
you dont have to rewire anything with PIAA bulbs.
depending on what kind of bulb you need expect to pay $50+

·
Registered
392 Posts
i got the silverstars. pretty good bang for ur buck. the cheapest price on them here is at wal-mart for about $25. my only problem i the foggy ass lens on my car. i gotta take a heat gun to that thing and clean the inside of it. ne body make glass lens for the 94? these plastic ones are pretty scratched.

i have the same corrosion problem with my turnsignal driver side front. best cure take a dremel(if u dont own one get it, best $20 at walmart ever spent) and a wire brush attachment to it and grease it. if u do touch the glass with ur fingers just polish it really good with ur shirt.

btw. when i bought my car it had blue(looked more like green) front turn signals. i replaced the big bulbs with orange but i cant find out what the littleones are called to replace them? can someone hit me with a part name &/or number

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lude_dude_si said:
i got the silverstars. pretty good bang for ur buck. the cheapest price on them here is at wal-mart for about $25. my only problem i the foggy ass lens on my car. i gotta take a heat gun to that thing and clean the inside of it. ne body make glass lens for the 94? these plastic ones are pretty scratched.

i have the same corrosion problem with my turnsignal driver side front. best cure take a dremel(if u dont own one get it, best $20 at walmart ever spent) and a wire brush attachment to it and grease it. if u do touch the glass with ur fingers just polish it really good with ur shirt.

btw. when i bought my car it had blue(looked more like green) front turn signals. i replaced the big bulbs with orange but i cant find out what the littleones are called to replace them? can someone hit me with a part name &/or number
i think the ones your looking for are 1157.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
druuuu said:
i think the ones your looking for are 1157.
You also use I think 168's, they are just slightly brighter. I had PIAA 168's as my parking lights until I replaced them with DIY H3 halogens. :D

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
lude_dude_si said:
my only problem i the foggy ass lens on my car. i gotta take a heat gun to that thing and clean the inside of it..
i'am going to try that idea with the heat gun :btu

how can i take the scars off my head lights :confused

·
Registered
289 Posts
I run the PIAA Extreme White Plus and I have no complaints about them other then the fact they do cost a bit more then the knock-off's ... but there has to be a reason why you pay more. From the reply's here, I would guess its a quality thing :aww

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xdannyx25 said:
-dont touch the glass part of the bulb with your hands
what happens if you touch it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts