Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have VisionX 8000K HIDS and I have had them for about 9 months now. I have noticed that other vehicles w/ aftermarket HIDS have much better lighting and a better range with their HIDS. I know I have a good set of bulbs, it's just that the range SUCKS to be honest with ya. Does anyone here have the same problem? It's bright and all, don't get me wrong. It's just the light distance is short to me. Anyone know a way to fix this or is it just the headlamps on the '03 + Accords just no good w/ HIDS?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe your headlamps are jsut aimed to low. You can try to adjust where your headlamps are facing.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
it's not the way they are aimed....its because the reflector housing isn't made for HIDs....plus to reiterate what pikachu said...the color temperature he picked is for color only....however that's not the brightest color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx alot guys!
It's something I have noticed for a while now. On my buddies 03 WRX, he put the EXACT same 8K HIDS in and got much better light distance than I had, way better! The lighting was pretty much the same, it's the distance where I was amazed. Basically, w/ my accord the lighting distance is going to suck regardless of what Kelvin I have for my HIDS? Or if I do something lower I can get better results?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
You have reflectors, not projectors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight#Reflector_optics

You'll have to retrofit some projectors if you want good lighting.
Correct and incorrect, There are freeform reflectors built today that can properly distribute light from HID systems. A good example is the 00 Acura TL, the Lexus IS300 and a few others.....

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
03Av6ExL(= said:
Thanx alot guys!
It's something I have noticed for a while now. On my buddies 03 WRX, he put the EXACT same 8K HIDS in and got much better light distance than I had, way better! The lighting was pretty much the same, it's the distance where I was amazed. Basically, w/ my accord the lighting distance is going to suck regardless of what Kelvin I have for my HIDS? Or if I do something lower I can get better results?
You only THINK it got better, his stock 4000k HID would show much more at the same distances than the 8k HID and why? Blue/purple light at night time creates blue/black or purple/black contrasts which means that your visible light and usable light at any given distance with a 8k HID kit will be heavily diminished. At any given distance a 4100k hid hid or bulb temp will give you more usable light and visible light.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
fightinchunk said:
do they sell the reflector lenses for older cars like tegs and eg/ek's? if im changing my lighting which i will do in the near future, i'd like to do it the right way.
No they do not since that would require companies to take new technology and apply it to old cars.
However there was something weird about civic headlights, there was some model year of civic headlight housing that was able to accept the Lexus IS300 reflector for HID.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
fightinchunk said:
do they sell the reflector lenses for older cars like tegs and eg/ek's? if im changing my lighting which i will do in the near future, i'd like to do it the right way.
No they do not since that would require companies to take new technology and apply it to old cars.
However there was something weird about civic headlights, there was some model year of civic headlight housing that was able to accept the Lexus IS300 reflector for HID.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thanks for all the info Pikachu. So from what I understand 4100k would be the best correct? I am seriously considering replacing my HIDS. I just have too much difficulty w/ rain and the distance is awful. Would you recommend getting 4100K HIDS? I am not sure if there are HIDS out there for my 03 accord coupe that are 4100k. I hope so.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
4100k I dont beleive is available for aftermarket HID kits like what you have.
I think the lowest you can go is about 4700k, I can get them if you so desire as well.
If you REALLY want the best possible light output you will want to consider a retrofit which means physically taking apart your headlights and replacing them with a projector which can adequetly handle the light from HID.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Correct and incorrect, There are freeform reflectors built today that can properly distribute light from HID systems. A good example is the 00 Acura TL, the Lexus IS300 and a few others.....
I've never seen reflectors that look as good as porjectors. They never have that same cutoff.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
I've never seen reflectors that look as good as porjectors. They never have that same cutoff.
Who cares about your little color flicker or cutoff. In fact a fuzzy cutoff would be ideally better to light up street signs a bit. I'd much rather have something functional than something that looks pretty or makes people go oohhhhhhhhhh and ahhhh
The headlights I have just happen to do both worlds very nicely and at the same time add a really aggressive appearance to the overall vehicle.

I've not once heard that projectors are among the elitest actually because if you really want the best output then nothing will ever beat a well designed reflector housing. Then again by todays standards unless your car came with HID from the factory in a reflector housing then nothing reflector is good.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Who cares about your little color flicker or cutoff. In fact a fuzzy cutoff would be ideally better to light up street signs a bit. I'd much rather have something functional than something that looks pretty or makes people go oohhhhhhhhhh and ahhhh
The headlights I have just happen to do both worlds very nicely and at the same time add a really aggressive appearance to the overall vehicle.

I've not once heard that projectors are among the elitest actually because if you really want the best output then nothing will ever beat a well designed reflector housing. Then again by todays standards unless your car came with HID from the factory in a reflector housing then nothing reflector is good.
Output is for swamp buggies. Rig up some KC lights to your roof if you want that. The truth is, if you want alot of light output on a road car, you need projectors because reflectors + high output will blind oncoming drivers. Plus, the amount of light loss in projectors is negligible.

And if you can see the road signs, you're not JDM enough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.