Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2001 Accord V6 and it has 80,000 miles on it. It used to get 320 miles per fill up highway/local on average. Recently I havent been over 300 miles, now on average I get about 280. Im guessing the spark plugs have gotten old and need replacement after 80k. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My '97 V6 doesn't get very spectacular mileage either. It gets around 29-30 on the highway at best. And just driving around town in the winter, I get about 17-20mpg, which may be partly because I let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes before I drive it. I've always used 88 octane just because the next one down is 85.5, but with the recent price hike i just switched to 85.5. I have used injector cleaner, probably 6 months ago. Everything else should be in good condition. It's got 95K miles on the clock. Anyone else get mileage this bad??

·
Registered
18 Posts
You've gotta tell us the secret to that one, because i'm in the boat like the other 'cats on here, i'm letting like 300 - 320 tops.

before i put my SRI in my 99 V6 i was getting 340 or so, and i thought i should have gotten more..... of late i've been averaging 21 miles in the city.

i was also wondering if i could do anything mechanically to fix my fuel effiency.

i don't have a lead foot either. so whats the deal?

be cool

·
Registered
170 Posts
is it because you guys have bigger tanks than my teg?? because i'm only getting 250 miles tops on full tank? i'm like wtf??

·
Registered
107 Posts
My tank holds 17 gallons. When I refill, I put in about 14-14.5. Over the winter, I've been getting 200-230 mpg. 230/14=16.4 mpg = bad.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I record miles and how much gas it takes to top her off in my car service journal every time I refuel. Ill have to look back to see what I usually get in the warm months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '98 v6 with 78k miles gets about 19 in the city and 27.5 mpg on the highway with the A/C on half of the time. Most of my driving is in the city but never in rush hour, I usually go around 270 miles per fillup. All I have is a K&N filter. The best I ever got was a 23.7mpg combined.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Where do you live? Could be due to weather changing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
New forum member here, so if this suggestion sounds stupid forgive me. I had really bad mileage last summer, really, really bad!! I'm talking about 10 mpg. in the city and 16 highway. I had a new EGR Valve put in about four months ago and my mileage has been on the increase ever since. Used to get about 150 miles between fill ups (14-15 gallons) and now get between 325-350. Although my mileage still isn't as nice as some these members are posting I'm still elated that I'm around 23 instead of 15. Hope that this may shed some light. Also, when the dealership replaced the EGR valve they also cleaned the carbon in the surrounding areas.
Jaybird556

·
Registered
319 Posts
i'm getting about 350-370 miles to the tank with mods posted on sig. it has about 64000 miles now. i think we all need a tune up, both o2 sensors changed, tranny fluid change, and clean out the intake manifold. when i first got mah car, it could do 420 miles. so yea, try these. and for all ppl who don't look at their J30A1s carefully, 98-00 uses spark plug wires, not the 01-02. 01-02 uses ignition coils over the spark plugs.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was averaging about 250-270 (19-20mpg) miles to a refill, then recently I cleaned throttle body and drilled the EGR port, and replaced my O2 sensor, and now I'm getting 320-350 (22-25mpg) miles with a mix of city and highway driving. My Accord has 116K on it, and I have NEVER gotten fuel economy like that never ever since I had it. It's even got the orginal air filter! :eek

I really need to replace that.

Something you would might want to remember is that I believe the car was rated at 20mpg city and 28 highway. So depending on your driving habits, condition of the car, and whatever ... Your fuel mileage may be normal for the conditions you drive in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
whiteaccord2k1, Is your temp guage getting to the normal point? I know on my del sol when my thermostat was stuck open i was getting horrible milage!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts