Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
So basically there is no difference in the amount of work between a DOHC ZC and a SOHC ZC swap? If so, why would anyone do the SOHC? Especially if you plan on turboing it, with the DOHC you can tune each cam separately.

The OEM CRX si transmission bolts right onto the DOHC ZC?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
it shoudl be exactly teh same...the zc is considered a d series engines so the harness and mounts are d series and since it doesnt have vtec no need for extra wiring

and since its d series any d series tranny should bolt straight on but someone correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
for as much as people talk up the zc...and ur on a budget i would go with a d15b...its the vtec motor out of 5th gen civics...it ahs about 130 hp nto positive on tq numbers and d series sohc turbos produce some insane numbers...

so for 425 on hmotorsonline u get that little beast, then u have a sohc vtec crx which will still get u going pretty nice and for all under 1g

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
People talk up the SOHC ZC because its the easiest swap ever. Its a direct longblock swap. Im wondering if the DOHC is as easy, because its a better motor. Plus we dont want to have to fuck with wiring up VTEC.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
People talk up the SOHC ZC because its the easiest swap ever. Its a direct longblock swap. Im wondering if the DOHC is as easy, because its a better motor. Plus we dont want to have to fuck with wiring up VTEC.
well then the people that wire up the vtec get the better motors...you can always take the easy route and be pleased or you can take the more sophisticated route and be excited...

if u just give up that easy and say i'm nto tryign where does that take u in life...buying somethign cuz its easy and cheap is nto fun, its not that great of a motor...the dohc zc is illegal in some states and i'd imagine same with teh sohc zc considering they are not sold in american cars

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Legality of a motor isnt an issue... inspection and emissions here in PA are a joke.

Id prefer a non-vtec motor (regardless of price) simply because theyre better for (and can handle a larger amount of) boost. My concern isnt wiring up the VTEC, i just dont see a point in getting a VTEC engine when it really serves us no purpose. If we were going NA, i could see- but for boost, a nonvtec with lower compression ratio is a better way to go.

Weve pretty much got it narrowed down to a DOHC or SOHC ZC (unless a B18C5 swap comes up for a grand... hey, a guy can dream). Were just debating on whether or not the DOHC would be more work, and more money- and IF so- Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Legality of a motor isnt an issue... inspection and emissions here in PA are a joke.

Id prefer a non-vtec motor (regardless of price) simply because theyre better for (and can handle a larger amount of) boost. My concern isnt wiring up the VTEC, i just dont see a point in getting a VTEC engine when it really serves us no purpose. If we were going NA, i could see- but for boost, a nonvtec with lower compression ratio is a better way to go.

Weve pretty much got it narrowed down to a DOHC or SOHC ZC (unless a B18C5 swap comes up for a grand... hey, a guy can dream). Were just debating on whether or not the DOHC would be more work, and more money- and IF so- Is it worth it?
the problem is your teh one looking at it for boost...who knwo shwat this guy wants...all he asked was what the easiest and then how hard the zc would be...he hasnt said anythgin about boost

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
hondapride59 said:
the problem is your teh one looking at it for boost...who knwo shwat this guy wants...all he asked was what the easiest and then how hard the zc would be...he hasnt said anythgin about boost
Hes my buddy. We go to school together. Hes looking to boost. ;)

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
njn63 said:
DOHC ZC has much less aftermarket support than the SOHC which is one major reason a lot of people go for the SOHC.

And VTEC is not a bad thing for boost. Where do people keep getting that idea?
Im not saying you cant boost a VTEC, but in general VTEC motors have higher compression which makes them less favorable for boost. Ex- B18b can handle up to 12psi, where as a B18C can handle 6-7.

We're really just looking for pro's and cons of each, since there isnt much info around on the DOHC.

·
Registered
783 Posts
njn63 said:
DOHC ZC has much less aftermarket support than the SOHC which is one major reason a lot of people go for the SOHC.

And VTEC is not a bad thing for boost. Where do people keep getting that idea?
Me neither , when the turbo spools up the same time the vtec kicks in, whats bad about that? The only bad thing is that it'll be to fast. :lol2 :lol2

·
Registered
200 Posts
i dont know if someone already went over this, but the dohc zc isnt a direct bolt in in terms of wiring. the sohc zc is a direct bolt in every sense, thats why people would choose it over the dohc.

·
Registered
783 Posts
njn63 said:
but the gsr needs less boost to make the same power...

High compression doesn't limit boost, just makes tuning less forgiving.

And goals should be given in HP, not psi because different turbos at the same psi will make different power.
Yeah 14 psi on a t3/t04 turbo is nothing compared to a gt35r on 6 psi. So the amount of psi doesnt matter the size turb is what does all the talking. or :bash . Haha!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts