Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a few questions comparing CTR parts to regular B16A parts.

1) How much more aggressive are the CTR cams than the B16A cams?
2) Is a good amount of tuning required in order for the cams to run correctly?
3) Will I actually feel a difference with a CTR crank pulley on my B16A considering the CTR pulley only weights 1.8lbs and the B16A crank pulley weights 10lbs? (Im probably getting it either way just to have a little more CTR stuff on my motor lol)
4) If I just buy some CTR pistons and CTR valvetrain, will I have a B16B since I already have a CTR intake manifold, CTR throttle body, CTR oil and water pump, CTR cams, and Type R tranny?

If putting the CTR pistons in there isn't worth it, then Im going to get my c5 (ITR) crank reworked and put the b16 head on it. But I have an EK so I thought it would be pretty cool to fully convert my B16A into a CTR motor and then buy the CTR gauge cluster and have myself a Type R Civic. Anyway, if you know the answer to some of my questions...please let me know something ASAP. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, my second post on here and neither one have got 1 single reply. Do you guys really not know any of the answers or do you just not like helping people out? I've searched and I can't find to much which is why I asked on here but it looks like Im getting the same results lol

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Reply.

JDM97EK said:
I just have a few questions comparing CTR parts to regular B16A parts.

1) How much more aggressive are the CTR cams than the B16A cams?
The primary lopes are alittle bit larger, but not that big of a difference, the only lopes that are really different are the vtec lopes, which is why alot of people only use the intake CTR cam, cause that cam, by honda has the biggest vtec lope.. the exhaust cam is just the same as a standard, type-r, or gsr
2) Is a good amount of tuning required in order for the cams to run correctly?
Not really, Tons of people run a stock type-r or stock jdm gsr maps and do good power with them, althought alittle rising of the redline, and some good AFR tuning is required to extract every poney.
3) Will I actually feel a difference with a CTR crank pulley on my B16A considering the CTR pulley only weights 1.8lbs and the B16A crank pulley weights 10lbs? (Im probably getting it either way just to have a little more CTR stuff on my motor lol)
No, it will only allow you to rev higher, your not goin to really release any unhidden power, being the cranks now are not homozied or however you spell it.
4) If I just buy some CTR pistons and CTR valvetrain, will I have a B16B since I already have a CTR intake manifold, CTR throttle body, CTR oil and water pump, CTR cams, and Type R tranny?
No, and putting CTR pistons into a gsr block is not a good idea, unless your goin to seriously tune..your goin to get some crazy ass compression numbers..thats way off the charts..

If putting the CTR pistons in there isn't worth it, then Im going to get my c5 (ITR) crank reworked and put the b16 head on it. But I have an EK so I thought it would be pretty cool to fully convert my B16A into a CTR motor and then buy the CTR gauge cluster and have myself a Type R Civic. Anyway, if you know the answer to some of my questions...please let me know something ASAP. Thanks guys.
Answered each of your questions in the quote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.