Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next month or so, I'm going to build myself a fiberglass piece that will replace the center trim around the radio and stuff. It's going to be smooth (as in I'm going to loose the spot for the clock, hazard and blank switch, ashtray, lighter, and pockets) I'm just going to have a molded piece of plexi large enough for a 7" screen and a single din head unit, as well as a front side spot for video and audio in (the yellow, red, and white RCA thingees). I'm going to spend time to make this look OEM with the right lines and curves in it and everything molded in. Now talking with my friend that's done lots of fiberglass work, it's not hard to make a mold after this for fairly easy replication.

So the big question is, how many of you guys would be interested in this if I were to make these? I haven't looked into this too in depth, but I would estimate that if I could get $75 each for these, it would make it worth my time. If there are enough people wanting one, I'd need either a few people to pre-buy or a deposit from like 10 people. It's rather preliminary right now, I just want to get a feel for the demand.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
i'd be interested, 'cept I have a 6th gen and i don't think you have time to make 2 different molds... btw, do you have detailed instructions of the LCD project from before? I really wanna install in my 6th gen but could use some advice.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep everyone posted as I go.

For the 6th gen, I wouldn't really bother with making a mold. The double din area forthe head unit is already devoid of other stuff. So it would be just fine to stuff a monitor in there. you'd have to rig up something to hold a head unit underneith, but I've seen a few people do that already.

· Registered
329 Posts
cryogen97 said:
I'll keep everyone posted as I go.

For the 6th gen, I wouldn't really bother with making a mold. The double din area forthe head unit is already devoid of other stuff. So it would be just fine to stuff a monitor in there. you'd have to rig up something to hold a head unit underneith, but I've seen a few people do that already.
YEah I've bone exactly that. The 6g's have an optional mounting kit for the 6 disc in-dash changer.. I used that to hold my pioneer Navi, and it shoulkd work with any head unit. I've got pics if you want to see them.

· Registered
406 Posts
dohctor said:
YEah I've bone exactly that. The 6g's have an optional mounting kit for the 6 disc in-dash changer.. I used that to hold my pioneer Navi, and it shoulkd work with any head unit. I've got pics if you want to see them.
Post them man. I'd love to see what it looks like. I was interested in getting a 6.4" touch LCD from http://www.earthlcd.com but I'm waiting for the price to drop a little more. They seem to be dropping at a rate of $100 USD every 3 months, and I'm not in too much of a hurry to get one until it's down to something more reasonable like $500 or so.

· Registered
406 Posts
It's sweet how the LCD fit so (almost) perfectly for a 2-din enclosure. Did you cover up the gap underneath/behind the LCD's control buttons? Was the LCD screen intended to be in-dash mounted, or did you mod it to fit into a 2-DIN opening? Also, where did you get that external 1-DIN mounting unit underneath? Is it the same enclosure to get an optional tape deck for the LX & DX Accords?

This is what I was thinking of for my car:

(Hey don't make fun of the picture, it's directly clipped from http://www.earthlcd.com/JPEG/SK5002T.jpg)

Pop it into the console like so:

And then making a cover for it out of smoked plexi glass or something like so:

Did I also mention it's a touch-screen? :p It'll give it a nice clean smooth look, cuz there are no buttons sticking out. I was planning on hooking it up to a unix-box or something, then programming an interface for it.

Damn, should have done this for my 4th year project... aie.

Hanki .

· Registered
35 Posts
you get a touchscreen like that and I will be very interested...

hankishin said:
It's sweet how the LCD fit so (almost) perfectly for a 2-din enclosure. Did you cover up the gap underneath/behind the LCD's control buttons? Was the LCD screen intended to be in-dash mounted, or did you mod it to fit into a 2-DIN opening? Also, where did you get that external 1-DIN mounting unit underneath? Is it the same enclosure to get an optional tape deck for the LX & DX Accords?

This is what I was thinking of for my car:

(Hey don't make fun of the picture, it's directly clipped from http://www.earthlcd.com/JPEG/SK5002T.jpg)

Pop it into the console like so:

And then making a cover for it out of smoked plexi glass or something like so:

Did I also mention it's a touch-screen? :p It'll give it a nice clean smooth look, cuz there are no buttons sticking out. I was planning on hooking it up to a unix-box or something, then programming an interface for it.

Damn, should have done this for my 4th year project... aie.

Hanki .

· Registered
33 Posts
I'd be interested in one...

· Registered
35 Posts
what I would be really interested in is:

a sick flush screen in the double din, but then be able to get the stock indash 6 underneath the console, so it looks like it is in a stock spot.. that would be tight

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm probably going to start next week. I have too many things on my plate this week to go at it now. I'm currently wresting with the overall layout with clearance issues and if I should try to make a spot for two gauges at the bottom.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
dohctor - how much can i get that optional thingy you were talkin about? what size screen will fit in the double din?

hanki - are you talkin about that 700 dolla screen?

anybody - what sixe screen will fit in the double din, i was hoping for inconspicuosness-ness... but i also wanted to keep my aftermarket radio so, where can i find that optional mounting kit Doc was talkin about?

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the 7" is almost an exact fit. At least looking at the farenheit 7001 model.....it's meant for the headrest so it's essentially just the screen with minimal housing. From the pics I've seen you have about 1/4 inch on either side that isn't filled.

· Registered
406 Posts
kleankord said:
hanki - are you talkin about that 700 dolla screen?

anybody - what sixe screen will fit in the double din, i was hoping for inconspicuosness-ness... but i also wanted to keep my aftermarket radio so, where can i find that optional mounting kit Doc was talkin about?
700? Wha? No I want the $800 one. Dude, it's all about the touch-screen when you're paying that amount. If you were gonna spend $700, you may as well buy a laptop and rip off its screen instead.

To Cryogen: Yeah I know that it's not edge-to-edge, but there's a reason why it's so damn bloody bulky and expensive. a) it's touch-screen, b) it's 640x480 (VGA) resolution c) it's brightness is at 300 NITS. No offense, but with some of those composite-resolution LCD screens (I'm not sure about yours), their image quality looks like complete crap... all pixelated and stuff. 640x480 will give a nice and sharp picture. Also, my purpose of getting the LCD is to create software and stuff for it, and make it completely touch-screen / menu driven. I was also considering gutting out the climate buttons so I can shove in a larger touch-screen and do climate control via. touch screen, but there's no larger LCD screen out there with the specs that I need.

Finally, to KleanKord: You can find the mounting kit at your local Honda parts department.

Hanki .

· Registered
39,372 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.