Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it turns out that they must have decked my block too much, and now the pistons are hitting my spark plugs. They're only touching enough to mash the gap on each plug, so we're talking about a 1 mm overlap. From what I've checked out, all of the b series engines use the same spark plug, (with different tip materials), so I don't think I'm going to find a shorter plug.

So I'm thinking the best way to deal with this is to throw an extra spacer ring or 2 on each spark plug, so that it doesn't go as far down into the head. I know that race tuners do something like this to align the plugs for optimal spark distribution. Does anyone know where I can buy these spacer rings, or if this will even work?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I talked to someone today who told me there might be a difference between JDM and USDM specs on spark plugs. He says that the Jap plugs are actually 1/8 of an inch shorter than US plugs. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Making to shorter might cause you to loose some power. The problem being is that the spark will be contained moreso within the threaded hole instead of right at the roof of the combustion chamber. The flame front will take a bit longer to develop and you may not get a complete burn once the power stroke is complete.

Here's an idea:
If there's enough material to do this safely, machine out an indention in each piston to clear the spark plug electrode without having to sink the spark plug up in the roof of the combustion chamber!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts