Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm installing konis on my prelude right now. i know i have to cut the bumpstop, someone recommended cutting it to 1/3 of the original height, but does it matter what end i cut it off of?

· Registered
1,017 Posts
When installing my Ground Controls they recommended cutting off the bottom half.

I guess it depends on how low your springs set you.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
You know how there are 4 progressively larger sections to the bumpstop starting from the shock end? Well I just cut off the bottom two sections. Other people have their techniques, but this has worked for me.

· Registered
93 Posts
The instructions that came with my neuspeed race springs it said not to cut the bumpstops. This is for a 93 si hb. I too though they should be cut but i didn't do it. I was going to when i installed my koni yellows but again i didn't thinking neuspeed knows what their talking about. But now i think i hitting it everytime i go over big bumps.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
deMad10 said:
You know how there are 4 progressively larger sections to the bumpstop starting from the shock end? Well I just cut off the bottom two sections. Other people have their techniques, but this has worked for me.
this worked well for me also, i kept the beefier part of the bumpstop on the car.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
mantic6t9 said:
The instructions that came with my neuspeed race springs it said not to cut the bumpstops. This is for a 93 si hb. I too though they should be cut but i didn't do it. I was going to when i installed my koni yellows but again i didn't thinking neuspeed knows what their talking about. But now i think i hitting it everytime i go over big bumps.
yea man you got to cut them a lil.
when i got my neuspeed race springs and yellow konis
i've seen the paper that comes with the springs that said not to cut the bumpstops. at first i didnt cut them. the ride was shitty and dangerous when hitting big bumps or pot holes.
then i took it apart and i cut off the first two notches off the bumpstops. now it rides nice. it does bottom out once in a while but only when i really fuck up and dont watch the road.
hope this helps.

· Registered
180 Posts
does it affect eveness of a drop how u cut it?

· Registered
1,017 Posts
No it just affects how far the shock cylinder travels. You should cut them evenly though because if there is a huge difference one shock may be bottoming out while the other isn't. That could disrupt things.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
CiViC 00 said:
does it affect eveness of a drop how u cut it?
it just allows more travel with the shock before you bump into something...over rough/bumpy surfaces...if the bumpstop isnt trimmed the shock will hit the bumpstop before it would if was trimmed and the ride wont be as good over rough surfaces because bouncing off the bumpstops is crappy...but you should still try and get them all even.

· Registered
667 Posts
Ok here is the situation.

I installed the neuspeed race springs, it created thumping noise on the second day.

Then i realized that i putted the bumpstop near the top of the shock not the bottom. LIke near where top bolts are.

Is it why my car is making all these wierd noises?
And if i need to cut it how much should i cut it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.