Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
uh... so you already have moon cuts, or you want to make them?

or do you just want the thing to be open altogether?

I've seen it done both ways... only really worth a shit if you've got adjustable cam gears... and even then, it's only useful during tuning.

dont do it if you dont have aftermarket gears... the stock ones look like crap.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clone said:
uh... so you already have moon cuts, or you want to make them?

or do you just want the thing to be open altogether?

I've seen it done both ways... only really worth a shit if you've got adjustable cam gears... and even then, it's only useful during tuning.

dont do it if you dont have aftermarket gears... the stock ones look like crap.
i have it mooned now. i was just gunna do it because i have this big ding from where the power steerin hose kept rubbing.

heres a picture. it pretty deep since i have a ton a paint an clear on it. i figured just hacking it off would be the best route instead of trying to refix it.

im getting gears here shortly also. :clap

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
so... you moved the powersteering hose? or you just want it to dig into the t-belt instead of the valve cover?

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
no..the power steering is gone now. it was sitting there before. now its just a nasty hole chip thing there.
ahh

well to this thread i say... make your own decision.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to kind of jack the thread, but did you do the moon cuts on your own, or have a shop or something do it? I have a $100 gift certificate to a powder coating place, so i'm gonna be doing the valve cover and have it off anyway...

·
Registered
866 Posts
94PreludeJDM said:
Sorry to kind of jack the thread, but did you do the moon cuts on your own, or have a shop or something do it? I have a $100 gift certificate to a powder coating place, so i'm gonna be doing the valve cover and have it off anyway...
I've seen plenty of people do it themselves. Just use a hole saw and the make the center right where the valve cover and the plastic timing belt cover meet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just used an angle grider with a thin cuttin disc(zipcut?)....mark off straight line with marker or edge of tape just b4 it rounds off.... and cut it completely off...much better than a hacksaw....

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

You're not wanting to cut off that whole piece I highlighted, are you??

cause you REALLY dont want to do that... exposing the sides of the gears/belt is one thing, but exposing the top of it is entirely different... I personally think you're just asking for it if you do that... it'll snap or get something caught in it or something like that, and that'll be bad.

leave that protection there... if you just want to cut out the sides, go for it... but it's already mooned as you said so I dont see much of a point...

but yeah, leave it alone. I know there are a lot of things on a car that sometimes make no sense as to why they're there... but that's there for a pretty good reason... leave it alone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
i have it mooned now. i was just gunna do it because i have this big ding from where the power steerin hose kept rubbing.
Found this thread, just what I wanted to know...glad I searched. Anyway, just got the AEM cam gears installed , but they're rubbing against the cover, so I'm going to modify it w/a moon cut. Does anyone have any pics of theirs, and any tips? I'm trying to do this tomorrow, so any quick replys are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
97AClude said:
Found this thread, just what I wanted to know...glad I searched. Anyway, just got the AEM cam gears installed , but they're rubbing against the cover, so I'm going to modify it w/a moon cut. Does anyone have any pics of theirs, and any tips? I'm trying to do this tomorrow, so any quick replys are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
just cut it. pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.