Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepfather came home yesturday and was complaining that his car was running very bad and sputtering, It is a 2000 V6 Accord Coupe. I told him to go get new spark plugs and I would change them, gotta start somewhere right? Well needless to say, this didnt fix the problem. I then told him to take it to Autozone so they could pull the code he was throwing, turns out it was a random misfire on cylinders 1,3,4,5,6. he person who helped him suggested that the problem could be the coilpacks which I would have suggested if it were only a single cyl misfire. So now im stuck with trying to figure out whats wrong with it and I was wondering if anyone on here had this problem before. Any Ideas, Input, suggestions are welcomed!!!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
does the problem only happen after you drive the car, shut it off, then start it up again shortly after?

will the problem go away after you hold the engine rpm at about 3000 rpm for 30 seconds?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be a problem that is constant, not dependent on how long the car is running, as for if i hold the throttle steady, i can find that out and get back with you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
SAME PROBLEM AS YOU

I am having the same problem with my car. I have a 2001 V6 Honda Accord and I have multiple cylinder misfires. I have already replaced the spark plugs, the ignition coils, the catalytic converter, and the EGR Valve. I am running out of things to do. Someone suggested that I clean out the EGR passages. I also had someone else tell me to change the fuel filter. Not sure what the deal is with these cars. HELP!!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
for the 01 av6, is it a constant misfire all the time? there is only one egr port and if it's clogged you won't get a misfire at all. however, if the egr is stuck open, it may cause a misfire.

do you have access to a scantool that can read engine data? if so, get the freeze frame data(or the live data) and check that the tp sensor is at .5v +/- .02v and the egr is no more that 1.25v. if that's the case, replace the egr valve with a new honda valve. j

i'm not sure why you replaced the cat if you still have a misfire though. usually this year has no misfire problems at all.

also if you can read live data, check the map reading with the engine fully warmed up at idle. ideal is .88v.

did you have any work done before the misfire started?
do you have any other symptoms?

for the 00 av6, the same thing above applies. however, there is also a fuel pressure regulator update with the pcm if your vehicle falls under the vin range. what's the vin number?

the updated fuel pressure regulator and pcm increases the fuel pressure so the fuel doesn't boil in the rail and cause a misfire, usually after a 'hot soak'(car is fully warmed up, shut off, then restarted shortly after shut down).

any other symptoms?
when you say it's constant, if you just start the car and watch the engine at idle, you can see it shaking from a misfire? to simulate a misfire, disconnect one of the coil plug connectors at idle. that is a misfire, how the engine shakes like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont have access to a scan tool that can read engine data. My wife had some work on the car while I was deployed. She had the transmission replaced because our car was having shifting problems. (the car was under warranty) She also had the Fuel filter and spark plugs replaced. I was told that because they were Bosch spark plugs and not NGK spark plugs, that that was the reason for the misfires but after replacing them the misfires still exist. I did replace the EGR Valve with a Honda EGR Valve, but still the misfires exist.
The car drives fine except when I first turn in on and I begin accelerating the car will stall as if in neutral before picking up speed. What would you reccomend my next step be? I'm hearing all of the following:

1) Clean the EGR Port
2) Bore a new enlarged EGR port
3) Replace fuel injectors
4) Replace wires
5) Replace Camshaft position sensor
6) Defective computer

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
there is no next step imo now. it basically needs to be diagnosed unless you feel like throwing expensive parts at it. a dealer should charge about $100 to diagnose it.

i don't understand what you mean by the car stalls. you mean it hesitates? is it just a hesitation and not a misfire?

when you say it stalls do you mean the transmission is slipping?

why don't you pull an ign. coil connector while the engine is idling to cause a misfire. that is how a real misfire is. is that what is happening all the time?

are you in the chicagoland area? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the transmission WAS slipping and while the car was still under warranty I had it replaced. That was when my car was at 106,000 miles, my car is now at 135,000. If the transmission is still giving me problems, will they replace it again?

I haven't felt anything that really feels like a misfire, my car drives fine, i just have all the misfire codes and check engine light on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I payed the $100 to have my car diagnosed about 2 weeks ago and Honda said the catalytic converter and the EGR valve had to be replaced. They quoted me at $2150 so I just had someone else do the repairs for $600.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
you pry had p0420 & p1491 b4.

if that was two weeks ago take it back. they may diag it for free

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am having the same problem with my car. I have a 2001 V6 Honda Accord and I have multiple cylinder misfires. I have already replaced the spark plugs, the ignition coils, the catalytic converter, and the EGR Valve. I am running out of things to do. Someone suggested that I clean out the EGR passages. I also had someone else tell me to change the fuel filter. Not sure what the deal is with these cars. HELP!!
hello, i am having the same problems with my car...well the same exact problems as the opening post.

for the misfiring problem, i have replaced all 6 coils and put in new plugs. voila, that solved the misfiring CEL codes that popped up. car runs great*** however...the car still "hesitates"...it feels like the car doesn't respond (like its in neutral, but no revs go up or down...just nothing) when only going up overpasses and on ramps and hills while pressing the gas pedal half way to all the way down the floor.

i can feel it hesitate which makes me believe the fuel filter and fuel pump is clogged and/or failing. the car has 155k miles, and i have never changed the fuel filter (b/c honda doesn't list it in the manual as part of routine maintenance)

i'm installing the new fuel filter and pump this week when the parts come in. i'll post back when i'm done, and see if the car still hesitates.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I payed the $100 to have my car diagnosed about 2 weeks ago and Honda said the catalytic converter and the EGR valve had to be replaced. They quoted me at $2150 so I just had someone else do the repairs for $600.
dont go to that repair shop anymore - your problems dont deal with the Cat nor the EGR (you already replaced the EGR)

also, they told you the Bosch plugs were bad? freaking Bull Sh* t, i been running the Bosch plugs since 100k miles, and just replaced them b/c i was already replacing the coils.

the brand of plugs has nothing to do with the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey. I have the same problem. the hot soak problem. should i get it repaired? The problem bothers me but I do not have any money to spend on the car right now. If i do not get it repaired will it cause any other problems?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey. I have the same problem. the hot soak problem. should i get it repaired? The problem bothers me but I do not have any money to spend on the car right now. If i do not get it repaired will it cause any other problems?
i never fixed the hot soak problem, all i did was refrain from starting the car within 30 minutes of shutting off the car.

did that cause my misfiring and hesitation problems that are constant at all conditions? maybe, maybe not. who knows...the car is old and showing its age. 155k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As long as I am able to drive the car, I do not mind the hesitation. I do not need a nice car right now. I am trying to graduate from college. I just need a box on wheels :) mine has 123k right now. And I am a delivery guy too :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
As long as I am able to drive the car, I do not mind the hesitation. I do not need a nice car right now. I am trying to graduate from college. I just need a box on wheels :) mine has 123k right now. And I am a delivery guy too :)
see thats the spirit keep up the good work :w00tz

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
i got a friend with this same exact problem, but so far im not readin a solution here....just a bunch of pple agreein to the same problem...

well, ill see, imo, i think all coils might need replacing..how much do they go for..and ill give that hot soak a thought..

·
Registered
384 Posts
also, they told you the Bosch plugs were bad? freaking Bull Sh* t, i been running the Bosch plugs since 100k miles, and just replaced them b/c i was already replacing the coils.

the brand of plugs has nothing to do with the problem.
BOSCH PLUGS F-ING SUCK IN A HONDA. DO NOT RUN THEM.

95% of the cars that come into the shop with a no start or a running problem that is caused by bad spark plugs have Bosch plugs in em. And I know it's not just my experience.

Replacing your plugs is what cured your missfire, not the coil packs. 6 coil packs going bad at once??? LOL

·
Registered
384 Posts
i got a friend with this same exact problem, but so far im not readin a solution here....just a bunch of pple agreein to the same problem...

well, ill see, imo, i think all coils might need replacing..how much do they go for..and ill give that hot soak a thought..
I doubt very much there is a problem with all the coil packs. They rarely go bad, and usually just one at a time.

Dont just throw parts at it, that gets expensive fast. A scantool with a data list capability makes diagnosing misfires on em fairly easy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts