Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have b18 and i took the head off for awile. So when i went back to put the head on it, i found that their was rust on the cylinder walls. I have a pic of the worst cylinder wall if anyonw would want to see it. It is pretty bad what do i do, i was told to just put the head back on it and run. Here is the pic.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
i see no pics. but I say that you get some wd40 and soke a rag with it then just run the rag on the cylinder walls. then ut the head back on. how long didnt the car run for? did it hydrolock? it must sit around for a while to rush or get some water on them

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
where did you leave the block at? you should have put something in there to or covered it up good to keep it from being exposed......

just wipe it down with wd40 see if that gets it remotely better. if not then idk

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
EG_civic_coupe said:
Hey i have b18 and i took the head off for awile. So when i went back to put the head on it, i found that their was rust on the cylinder walls. I have a pic of the worst cylinder wall if anyonw would want to see it. It is pretty bad what do i do, i was told to just put the head back on it and run. Here is the pic.
You should hone the cylinder walls and get new piston rings. It will be like new.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pic

How do u post up a pic help or i will just e-mail it to whoever wants to see it. And if their is a little rust on the cylinder walls is it alright to run it. The block has been in my garage for probally a month or a little longer.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
EG_civic_coupe said:
How do u post up a pic help or i will just e-mail it to whoever wants to see it. And if their is a little rust on the cylinder walls is it alright to run it. The block has been in my garage for probally a month or a little longer.
Why would you go through all the trouble of taking off the head if you won't do the simple procedure of honing the block? It will fix any compression loss or oill los through piston blow-by. Rust will make both problems worse.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
EG_civic_coupe said:
look at the top of this page. you'll see a bar that says PHOTO. click that. then near the top of the page it will say UPLOAD PHOTOS click it. then find them on your computer and click SUBMIT. it will take you to the photo's posted page.....your will be there. do the right click and copy the URL. then when you come back in here click this:
paste the URL in there and click ok.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to get ot honed out but then i will have to take apert the block and then reassemble the whole thing. I don't have any experiance building motors so i don't really want screw anything up. If i do take it to a machine shop will they take the motor apart and rebuild it for a low cost also to hone it out. I am talking like below $120. Do i go to a shop with honda experiance or just take it to a machine shop. I was told that if i go .30 over i will have to get bigger pistons and i know that take more money than the 120. thanks

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
um hell no rebuild for 120. I would say wd40 on a rag wipe the rust off best you can, make sure to put oil all over the walls and run the engine, the rust will burn off. yes this isnt good for the motor but if you dont have the cash to rebuild it properly dont take it apart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hone

What is involved in doing a hone job i called a guy and he said i could do it myself. He said just but the right size hone and hook it up to a drill and it will center itself and everything, is this correct or is he lieing to me.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
technically you can do it yourself, but you still have to disassemble the bottom end so that you don't get metal fragments all over the place. a shop will hone for you for about $40-80.

however if you hone, then you really need new piston rings as well. You can probably do it all for < $200. However you should definately take it to a shop to hone it. It costs almost as much to buy the tool and do it yourself as it does to have a professional machine shop do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum loads of info I love it!
Anyways
Same type of question. I have purchased everything to do a complete motor rebuild on my 94 EG civic(much needed). just wanted to see if anyone could tell me about how deep should the cross hatching be after the bores have been honed out thanks in advance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts