Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i dont know much about engines, ive been tryen to research and learn,... so this question may be pretty dum, but i got an engine mannual and wana atempt to rebuild the engine with me and my friend, i could always have my other friiends dad do it cuz hes a machamic for cheap but it would be a good learning experience and i would tape it so i remember where things go but is this possible for someone with little experence or are there to wany things that i would need to kno, sorry if its a dum question

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
i would attempt a smaller feat before rebuilding and engine. everything has to be tightened to a specific spec. if the motor your rebuilding still runs fine, i would buy a beat up used motor like another d or a b18b and rebuild that. last thing you want to do is fuck up a working motor

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, cuz the whole reason for it would b because my friends dad and me are building a turbo kit for it(hes helpin me out) but he has a spisific schedual(busy), we ordered som valves n springs jus 2 b safe but i dont wana b puttin down any more than 220 hp, witch i guess is about all the stock internals can handal, but som1 suggested rebuilding the engine when puttin in the valves n crap.. it had 133k mines and runs fine, compretion tested good

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
ok, cuz the whole reason for it would b because my friends dad and me are building a turbo kit for it(hes helpin me out) but he has a spisific schedual(busy), we ordered som valves n springs jus 2 b safe but i dont wana b puttin down any more than 220 hp, witch i guess is about all the stock internals can handal, but som1 suggested rebuilding the engine when puttin in the valves n crap.. it had 133k mines and runs fine, compretion tested good
if it passes the compression test and the leakdown test you don't need a rebuild.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
alright, it passed the com, and if it passes the leak it should be fine for turbo?
even at 9 or 10 psi?
1. with a proper tune yes it will be fine, just stay under 220whp

2. psi means nothing at all so don't even use it as a measure of performance. lbs/min is what tells you how much the turbo will make at a certain psi. 10 psi off of a 14b is different than 10 psi off of a gt3071r.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
1. with a proper tune yes it will be fine, just stay under 220whp

2. psi means nothing at all so don't even use it as a measure of performance. lbs/min is what tells you how much the turbo will make at a certain psi. 10 psi off of a 14b is different than 10 psi off of a gt3071r.

i really want to know how many times you have had to say that on this site bro... like literally i want to know haha

btw i didnt know shit about motors when i did my first rebuild. it wasnt that difficult as long as you put everything to spec and dont skip out on anything. if you can turn a wrench then you can build a honda haha

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
[/B]

i really want to know how many times you have had to say that on this site bro... like literally i want to know haha

btw i didnt know shit about motors when i did my first rebuild. it wasnt that difficult as long as you put everything to spec and dont skip out on anything. if you can turn a wrench then you can build a honda haha
we lost track at over 1000

· Registered
118 Posts
[/B]

Theres actually a little more than just unbolting and bolting back up. To do things right, you have to measure oil clearances and the out of round on the crankshaft and camshaft(s) to determine if they are good to reuse or not among many other measurements if you want your rebuilt motor to last it's full life. You will need to know how to use a feeler gauge, and how to use and read a micrometer, plastigage and a dial indicator. Best bet is to pick up a book on rebuilding engines and read it first to get all the knowledge you will need. Ignorance is not bliss when rebuilding motors IMO

· Registered
471 Posts
great info. I may do a rebuild of my d16. Altho just buying a blown d16y8 may be a better idea since mine still runs like a champ. Then it should be plug and play once it's built and goes in :)

· Registered
782 Posts
My main concern is whether this OP will understand what he is reading. I am not flaming or anything but being able to read and then being able to apply that knowledge requires two different skill sets.

I would recommend that he spend some time with the "mechanic" friend and watch what he does. Mentoring is still the best way to learn to do anything.

You can learn to do a lot of stuff from books...but I am not certain that building an engine is one of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.