Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
dont think it will happen

the d15b head requires i think(dont quote me) dome pistons or something...all i knwo is they are different form every other d series...so in order for it to work you can not use zc pistons...

i dont even understand why you would do such a horrible combo...if you have a y8 block...mate it with a z6 or y8 head and be done with it

also i'm pretty sure u dont want to use non vtec parts on a vtec head and bottom end

if your trying this cuz u have evrything already...u are shit out of luck. either buy teh whole d15 from hmotors for 500 dollars or go to the junkyard and find the lowest mileage b16z6 or d16y8 head and then start building

and for furture reference...

d-series.org is a great place to go

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand what you're saying. Im not using a D15B head...that's a VTEC head. Im using my d15b2 head. The only reason Im using it right now is so that I'll still get more power for really cheap. Im getting the whole y8 block for 115 and then Im swapping in some DOHC ZC pistons (P29/PM7's). It will give me a 11.2 c/r. Why is it such a horrible combo? Im on a tight budget at the moment and anything is better than the stock d15b2 that's not even multi point fuel injected. You're telling me I won't feel much from swapping over a 1.6L bottom end with domed pistons, and doing the multi point swap. It's kinda guetto but shit...it's going to feel a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
why do you want such a high compression ratio

you are gonan for sure want premium gas for it

why don tyou just get a d16z6 or get the y8 head and go vtec. dotn downgrade, upgrade

and frankenstein motors are proven to be unreliable, some last longer than others but why risk it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i am going to use the same bottom end the y8 block and z6 head now a convert to mpfi and wire up vtec and convert to obd1 and use a chiped p28 to tune with how dose that sound i am only doing this cus all the ex.valves in the b2 head are burnt and i would like to see wat a high c/r d-series vtec feels like

·
Registered
506 Posts
hondapride59 said:
dont think it will happen

the d15b head requires i think(dont quote me) dome pistons or something...all i knwo is they are different form every other d series...so in order for it to work you can not use zc pistons...

i dont even understand why you would do such a horrible combo...if you have a y8 block...mate it with a z6 or y8 head and be done with it

also i'm pretty sure u dont want to use non vtec parts on a vtec head and bottom end

if your trying this cuz u have evrything already...u are shit out of luck. either buy teh whole d15 from hmotors for 500 dollars or go to the junkyard and find the lowest mileage b16z6 or d16y8 head and then start building

and for furture reference...

d-series.org is a great place to go

No offense but there isn't a word of good or knowledgeable advice in the above post. There is nothing wrong with swapping heads on a d-series. If you knew about d-series you'd know that honda did a lot of headswapping and parts sharing themselves to bring so many different engines to the table. The only issue you will have with putting a non-vtec head on a vtec motor is the lack of an oil jet in the deck. 88-91 d's have an oil jet in thier deck which is required for that head, 92+vtec motors and all 96+ d-series have the oil jet built into the head so they dont need one in the deck. Put simply you will just need to slightly enlarge the oil feed on the deck so you can put the jet from an 88-91 in the hole. This is very important, the oil jet is used to reduce the amount of oil that reaches the head, you can potentialy starve the bottom end of oil if your not using it. If your just trying to build a nonvtec D I'd suggest putting a d16y7 head on your z6 block, then you wouldn't have to dick around with the oil jet, and its a better head than the d16a6 or d15b2. Remember Vtec isn't magic, the word does not bring hp, break it down to WHY a vtec engine makes more power... Apply those priciples to any engine and it will make more power. Higher compression ratio, better head flow, and a more aggressive cam is what gives you power, not vtec.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
AK_CRX said:
No offense but there isn't a word of good or knowledgeable advice in the above post. There is nothing wrong with swapping heads on a d-series. If you knew about d-series you'd know that honda did a lot of headswapping and parts sharing themselves to bring so many different engines to the table. The only issue you will have with putting a non-vtec head on a vtec motor is the lack of an oil jet in the deck. 88-91 d's have an oil jet in thier deck which is required for that head, 92+vtec motors and all 96+ d-series have the oil jet built into the head so they dont need one in the deck. Put simply you will just need to slightly enlarge the oil feed on the deck so you can put the jet from an 88-91 in the hole. This is very important, the oil jet is used to reduce the amount of oil that reaches the head, you can potentialy starve the bottom end of oil if your not using it. If your just trying to build a nonvtec D I'd suggest putting a d16y7 head on your z6 block, then you wouldn't have to dick around with the oil jet, and its a better head than the d16a6 or d15b2. Remember Vtec isn't magic, the word does not bring hp, break it down to WHY a vtec engine makes more power... Apply those priciples to any engine and it will make more power. Higher compression ratio, better head flow, and a more aggressive cam is what gives you power, not vtec.
ummm just to let you know i thought he meant the d15b the one only made in japan. they sell it on hmotors and it requires pistons that are not interchangeable between the other d series engines. sorry for making a mistake. atleast i tried to help the guy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey it is kool i am going to use the y8 block zc pistons and z6 head and tuned that hoe and jim at motorvations motors sports in trussville al is going to do all the work so i know it is going to coast out the ass but wat the hell it is better than not driving

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i am already a member on d-seires.org but i am just going to buy a d15b cus i whent to wire up mpfi and change the head gaskiet cus it was blow and my dumb ass dad over set the tq wrench to 50lbs unstead of 49 and the head stud said go to hell and snaped i did know it till got it all back together and fired it up and the idle was from 2k-1.5k so cut it off and check the timing and then too of the valve cover and the first head stud i check to see if the where tight was snaped right at the treads and i am tired of the b2 so i am going to buy the d15b and save up and build my y8 block for boost and then boost the y8 block woth the d15b head and have some fun

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i was thinking the same thing mabe it is cus they are 15 years old and that was proble the first time they have ever be out and back in i dont know but i got all the wiring done so all that is left to do is pull out the b2 and get the bay clean and wait till my d15b get here and drop here in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.