Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up? well ive been contemplating a few things for my d series. I had first thought about doing a swap, b16 or h22. ive figured in the long run that i probably wouldnt have the money for either one of those projects. now im thinking about going D series turbo. im just wundering what cost's might be and what kits are teh best for d series. and btw i have a 2000 civic ex, with 43 k on it. any help would be great and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you want a painless experience then go with the Edelbrock turbo kit..i think the new will let you alter the PSI levels but as of now it's probably the most..wait it IS the most complete turbo kit available for D-Motors. But it's still pretty pricey..i think...$3k+...why dont you just save that for a swap...b16a2s are about $2000...and b18c are about $2600.00...i'm sure a shop could do it all for about $3500.00...we do that here....but yea...there you are... oh and also you could build your own turbo kit..alot of people here on superhonda did so i suggest searching the forums and DOING LOTS AND LOTS OF READING AND REREADING. Alright if you have anymore questions keep posting and we'll try posting....

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
A d-series turbo is an excellent way to go, but not cheap at all. A good turbo setup will run you anywhere from $2k-$3k if you go custom with quality parts and tuning. The edelbrock kit is the best complete kit for the d-series on the market, but it is just over $3k.

A swap is a good way to go as well, but I just can't bring myself to pay all of that money for a used engine.

So bottom line is that you are going to pay for performance, but the turbo is the best bang for the buck when done properly.

·
Registered
614 Posts
hondactr said:
if you want a painless experience then go with the Edelbrock turbo kit..i think the new will let you alter the PSI levels but as of now it's probably the most..wait it IS the most complete turbo kit available for D-Motors. But it's still pretty pricey..i think...$3k+...why dont you just save that for a swap...b16a2s are about $2000...and b18c are about $2600.00...i'm sure a shop could do it all for about $3500.00...we do that here....but yea...there you are... oh and also you could build your own turbo kit..alot of people here on superhonda did so i suggest searching the forums and DOING LOTS AND LOTS OF READING AND REREADING. Alright if you have anymore questions keep posting and we'll try posting....
SLAP!! this is a D-series forum damnit. lol With a boosted d series engine, u will be making way more power than a swapped b16a/a2... or b18. The money u put in the swap can instead go to bulding the engine and boosting the d series.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, d-series turbo's are fucking awesome i was planning on doing one my self infact i have pretty much the complete homemade turbo setup sitting here on my bed, but since i blew the d-series, i wont be able to do it, until i find another d-series engine for cheap. But yeah the complete turbo setup once it was all said and done minus tuning was about 950 dollars if i remember correctly, but again it is a homemade setup, so it does have its down falls. But yeah let me know if your interested and i will post my setup, i have done lots and lots and lots of reading on d-series turbo's and i will do my best to answer your questions if you have ne in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sev_civic said:
SLAP!! this is a D-series forum damnit. lol With a boosted d series engine, u will be making way more power than a swapped b16a/a2... or b18. The money u put in the swap can instead go to bulding the engine and boosting the d series.
eh...yea there awesome...but how about a b16a2 for $1700(complete)and then boosted ($1600) for a total of $3400.00...basically the same thing expect which will be better and stronger? i'm not saying d-series suck man..i was just suggesting boy...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Furious98662 said:
Yeah, d-series turbo's are fucking awesome i was planning on doing one my self infact i have pretty much the complete homemade turbo setup sitting here on my bed, but since i blew the d-series, i wont be able to do it, until i find another d-series engine for cheap. But yeah the complete turbo setup once it was all said and done minus tuning was about 950 dollars if i remember correctly, but again it is a homemade setup, so it does have its down falls. But yeah let me know if your interested and i will post my setup, i have done lots and lots and lots of reading on d-series turbo's and i will do my best to answer your questions if you have ne in the future.
First thanks for the help fellas. i was planning on buying a full kit but now im leaning towards puting together my own. what kind of fuel management would u sujest? and Furiouse what kind of turbo do u have and can u post pics of the set up? once again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
You are looking at a good $5k for a b16a2 with a proper turbo setup. I have never seen a legit b16a2 swap for less than $2300 *BEFORE* shipping, and you can't assemble a quality turbo kit (even custom) w/tuning for less than about $2k. Homeboy hook-ups and getting freebies don't count. I also don't consider junkyard turbo to be a quality turbo setup.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
why don't you consider a junkyard setup to be quality?? You can put together a hell of a setup from the junkyard for cheap as long as you can fab stuff decently. I mean sure, even a junkyard kit will need some new components but I think they can be just as good as kits if you know what to look for...

·
Registered
471 Posts
junk yard tubo's kick ass. there old and useded but still alot cheaper. cheaper being my main deturn here. if had the money i'd still won't get the kit. if i was super i'd get the kit.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
guest said:
junk yard tubo's kick ass. there old and useded but still alot cheaper. cheaper being my main deturn here. if had the money i'd still won't get the kit. if i was super i'd get the kit.
yeah but you can get burned if you don't know what to look for when pulling a turbo out the junkyard...

such as shaftplay, oil seals, bent fins, etc...

I mean hell, it's a turbo motor...why's it there?? something happened to it...unless it's assend is missing then you know it's a mechanical problem that brought it there and a greasy ass engine with oily charge pipes ain't a good sign :p

I'm picky as hell when I go scouring the yards for turbos and I usually stick to certain makes/models...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
stackz said:
yeah but you can get burned if you don't know what to look for when pulling a turbo out the junkyard...

such as shaftplay, oil seals, bent fins, etc...
This is why I don't typically consider a junkyard kit quality. People read sport compact car and think that they can put together a junkyard kit for $300 themselves. You *REALLY* have to know what you are looking for and most people pursuing junkyard setups don't. People going junkyard also usually don't do fuel management properly and try to cut too many corners.

I just don't want someone to go off ill-informed and buy the first junkyard turbo that they see on ebay and get a lemon.

I'm an picky individual and I typically think that it is more important to get the job done right than it is to just get the job done...

I mean hell, it's a turbo motor...why's it there?? something happened to it...unless it's assend is missing then you know it's a mechanical problem that brought it there and a greasy ass engine with oily charge pipes ain't a good sign :p

I'm picky as hell when I go scouring the yards for turbos and I usually stick to certain makes/models...
Don't get me wrong, you can find some gems in the junkyard, but you have to know what you are doing and be prepared to rebuild/replace things if necessary.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
LoL! I've got that issue too haha...the project crx hf they tossed together...

yeah, when I go to the yards I usually only look in the dodge section or for early datsun turbo 280z's....mmm oil cooled .60's yum...

either that or the 2.3l turbo fords.

and even at that I only pull the ones without oil on/around the compressor housing. that and the first thing I do is pop the hose and check shaft play. If I can bottom it out and the blade won't spin...I move on.

to be honest, fuel management is the least of my concerns. Hell, most of the friend's I help get their cars boosted are idiots so I give them the "idiot proof" fuel management solution...a used $50 blue box from ebay :p

other than that it's easy to make a junkyard setup heh. Hell, turbo saabs, turbo volvos, and turbo II chryslers come with 337cc low impedance injectors...go to the honda area and get an injector resistor pack and an o-ring kit from napa and you're set...

but yeah, there's a lot of people that think because they see a snail under the hood of a junker that it'll make 350hp+ under their hood by welding it to their exhaust...craziness :p

·
Registered
554 Posts
I love my D series turbo.:D I have a SOHC vtec with a custom front mount intercooled T3 turbo kit. I drove a B16 civic and a integra GSR (N/A of course) and they can't touch my turbo D16. If you look enough, you'll be able to find a good deal on a turbo kit. I found mine on ebay for $1200 complete with manifold, freshly rebuilt turbo kit, charge pipes, intercooler (starion), turbonetics wastegate, greddy type s bov, couplings, and all the necessary lines. I bought my motor for about $400 from a friend (tranny and everything) D16y8 with roughly 30k miles on. To sum it all up..
I LOVE MY TURBO D16!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts