Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im not really familar with hybrid motors, but i was wondering if i could get some help. My cousin has a delsol s (d15) and he was wondering if he could put a sohc vtec head on it. I've seen the d16a6 and d16y8 put together, but i havent seen the 1.5 done. I was wondering if this was possible, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yes it will work as long as an SOHC D series head is going on it, and it will work just like d16/vtec, one thing I just want to point out to you, as I was looking at your sig I noticed that you have a breather on it, my recommendation is that you take it off and re-attach the vacuum hose, its connected to the PCV or positive crankcase ventilation valve which essentially takes vapor in the crankcase and sends it into the intake to be burned off, the problem w/ attatching a breather is it really doesn't let off those gases like it should and it can actually put unneeded pressure on your internals, I just thought I'd point that out for your benefit

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Id just glue in a B16A complete engine/gearbox setup instead of fuggering around with a head swap. Yes, the D series SOHC VTEC head will fit.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yup, I'm doing the mini-me swap with my D16y7, it should work fine for you, just remember to get the new ecu, and while you have the head off, you should put some hi comp pistons in, good gains for the money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
mls said:
Id just glue in a B16A complete engine/gearbox setup instead of fuggering around with a head swap. Yes, the D series SOHC VTEC head will fit.
yes but some people don't have the time or money to do a full swap, and might I remind you that Bisi Ezerioha is running 10s w/ a SOHC vtec engine, not to mention its NA

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Yes, i understand some dont have the funding available. 10 sec N/A (the only way) SOHC sounds nice. Im surprised that its a SOHC VTEC. Dont racers bin VTEC for a lighter valvetrain? Im gonna go DOHC when I get the pesos flowing in for its acoustic properties.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys, and Ill make sure to get the vaccum hose back on to absolutmugen. Appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry i forgot to ask how much gain the d15 hybrid would get? Would it be better than a regular civic ex motor or are the improvements not that drastic. Thanks again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Del_Whoa:
Sorry i forgot to ask how much gain the d15 hybrid would get? Would it be better than a regular civic ex motor or are the improvements not that drastic. Thanks again.
You will not get the power of the ex because you don't have the displacement of the ex, you will get quite good gains for the money, wiht my Y7 to Y8 conv. I'm expecting almost the 127 of the ex, but not quite. Because you won't get all the gains from the head, I would suggest that you also put new higher compression pistons, and have a port & polish done while you have the head off. If you're really looking for some more HP than you should do a complete head build-up with cams, valve springs, and the sort, then you can have a pretty good producing, high reving D series.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm not sure if the pistons will fit in because if don't know if the D15 is a smaller bore or a shorter stroke, if it's the same bore I would believe that they fit with the Y8 head, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yeah it really won't be the same, the reason people do the LS/vtec is it acutally has just a little more displacement then the GS-R so there is a little extra HP and torque there, yeah del whoa its prob best to get the vacuum hose back on there and MLS, its a sick car but I'm almost positive its VTEC, I think I know what you are talking about though, using "vtec killer" cams w/ all time high lift and duration but those are usually used for road racing hondas because they move in and out of vtec so much that the cam switch over actually slows them down but honda has engineered the vtec engagement point especially for peak power so moving the engagement around or removing it is not always best like in the case of drag racing even if a non-vtec valvetrain is lighter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts