Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have a 92 civic hatch and a D15B motor installed. I have a p28 ecu. I wanted to know what electronics I needed to install my turbo kit? Chipping the ecu with uberdata okay or another route. The cheaper the better.. Or is a standalone unit good? Any answers would be great..

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
can you tune yourself? if not hondata would be the way to go. it would end up costing about the same after chipping the p28 and getting a WBo2 sensor.

tuning is not something i recommend to a novice, which you more than likely are if your asking this question. take it to a pro, i wouldnt trust myself to tune my a/f ratio's thats for sure. i suck at math and stuff.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
imburne said:
My skills are not good your right. I just want something thats kinda tunable. Why dont those sites that sell the uberdata kit say you need the wb 02 sensor? hondata is too expensive for me. Check out this moates kit. Let me know if this would be okay and would I still need the wb 02 sensor with this...

Moates Ostrich USB Eprom Emulator
well here's the thing...

the free tuning programs aren't widely used by experienced tuners and can have lots of bugs... whereas hondata, aem ems, power fc, they'll all be relatively bug-free for all our concerns. you can find used s200's for decent prices, and go to the dyno to get tuned.

now going free tuning program you have to get an ecu, chip it and risk destroying the ecu while soldering. another thing is it's meant for people who are going to be doing their own tuning. so why get buggy software to run you EMS when you should be worrying probably the most about it, instead of trying to cheap out. do a comparative cost analysis.

p28 - $100
moates chipping kit - $20
Chip burner - $85
on the fly burner to do road tuning - $175
-----------------------------------------that's between $200 & $300 already! and you're still going to have to pay someone else to tune it for if you can find a person to do it.

used hondata's run between $100 & $300 depending on what model you find and get.

·
Registered
51 Posts
im running uberdata and have solidly for 2years without any problems...there are plenty of people that tune the diy programs. and you can buy an ecu already chipped from xenocron.com or stealthmodeperformance.com....upload a hondata bin from xenocrons website and hot damn you got hondata bitch. hondata is just a pre soldered ecu with a zif socket and program port. you could just run an safc and retard your timing from the distributor. only good for around 8-9psi though some people claim more boost. its called the safc hack and it has worked for the past 10 years since before we had uber...it just scaled down your map sensor reading and can run larger injectors.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
bennyhonda7 said:
im running uberdata and have solidly for 2years without any problems...there are plenty of people that tune the diy programs. and you can buy an ecu already chipped from xenocron.com or stealthmodeperformance.com....upload a hondata bin from xenocrons website and hot damn you got hondata bitch. hondata is just a pre soldered ecu with a zif socket and program port. you could just run an safc and retard your timing from the distributor. only good for around 8-9psi though some people claim more boost. its called the safc hack and it has worked for the past 10 years since before we had uber...it just scaled down your map sensor reading and can run larger injectors.
i'm not speaking against uberdata, crome, turboedit, or anything else that's free.

i'm saying from a person who isn't going to utilize it, why risk the problems that may become associated with it. There may be plenty of people that tune diy programs in your area, but that's not the case everywhere.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats my dogg bennyhonda.. Check this out I just stopped IMing Craig Moates. The ostrich is the way to go. See im trying to avoid opening my ecu and burning chips all the time and yes I do understand that will all that crap you listed it would be just as much as a used hondata. Now I told Craig what I wanted to do and he said no problem. Basically you get the chipping kit and the ostrich. You dont need the chip when you get it. You solder everything together like you normally would. The last part when you would insert the chip stop and plug in your ostrich. Hook it up to the laptop and load a base map for your car. Drive it around and tune it then it saves your tune in the ostrich. Unplug your laptop and take it in your house unless you want to leave it there. Unfortunately not too many people want to do it this way so I had to get the CORRECT answer from the man himself. Apparantly even one of his DISRIBUTERS didnt even know what the hell he was talking about. So now you know. And bennyhonda your ZEX kit will be in the mail as soon as your 14b arrives! Hopefully it arrives soon I already bought 300 dollars in turbo stuff!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.