Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a d15b vtec with dc 4-2-1 headers, custom intake, 2 1/2" exhaust tubing to an hks muffler with a high flow cat. i want to put a cam,valve springs and retainers in it, but i heard that the cam that comes with the d15b vtec is a great cam, so im not quite sure what in going to do. i dont want to turbo cause i like all motor cars. i was thinking a b16 throttle body would be a nice ad on, but in not sure about the things to do. if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
mikerock said:
i have a d15b vtec with dc 4-2-1 headers, custom intake, 2 1/2" exhaust tubing to an hks muffler with a high flow cat. i want to put a cam,valve springs and retainers in it, but i heard that the cam that comes with the d15b vtec is a great cam, so im not quite sure what in going to do. i dont want to turbo cause i like all motor cars. i was thinking a b16 throttle body would be a nice ad on, but in not sure about the things to do. if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
I've heard that the D15b cam is aggressive too...but I haven't been able to find ANYONE who has actually measured the lobes, and I haven't been able to find the cam duration and lift specs.

I say continue with what you were doing....swap the cam and valvetrain in there...the b16 TB will improve throttle response ....but I doubt much more than that.....maybe if you are taking the head off then mill it for a slight compression bump and if you are skilled or have money do some porting.

I say just drop the cam and valvetrain in there and figure out some kind of engine management....like a VAFC and go to a dyno for tuning. After that if you still want more power there's not much else you can do in terms of bolt ons except an aftermarket intake manfiold and throttle body combo...which should be good for another 5-12 whp with tuning.

·
Registered
478 Posts
IMO the jdm d15b is the best SOHC D series engine straight out of the box. it came with all the best parts already on it.. trying to squueze bits and peices out of it is goign to be hard because its already fairly optimized.

The 58-60mm tb is a good addition as long as you port match it, throttle response will be greatly increased as well as some top end pull, don go much bigger because idle will suffer.

Get an adjustable cam gear before you buy a cam. Dial in the stock setup to a perfect harmony, if your on 91 octane(which i should hope) 3-4 degrees retard on the cam and about 18-19 btdc will help also..

tighten up that valve lash...

try to get a chipped/socketed ECU to run editing software for obd-0. Check out turb0edit for that.

if you REALLY want to think about getting crazy and spending money.. dont waste time on the intake manifold, its already damn near perfect aside from the TB port size.. think about going to a good aftermarket header like the bisimoto unit from exospeed.

time and tuning is where youll see the most results from what you have put together so far.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so everyone knows, heres a list of stuff done to my car.

jdm d15b vtec obd-1
dc sports 4-2-1 header
hks muffler
2 1/2" exhaust
high flow cat
skunk 2 adjustable cam gear
obd-1 conversion harness
chipped ecu (chipped by sonictronic)
custom intake
coilovers
CRX HF front and rear bumpers
si rear disc breaks
si cluster
no rear interior

so if anyone can list any mods to do to my car without going turbo or supercharged please let me know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have you thought about lightening up your rotational masses such as your flywheel and pulleys? Also, if your done with your engine you could look to your transmission.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i plan on drag racing so a lightened flywheel wouldnt be the best idea considering the stock flywheel keeps the engines rpms up longer while shifting. the lightened flywheel is more of an auto cross mod or if you like down shifting alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts