Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 96 civic lx, i want to keep everything, a/c etc, whats the best turbo manifold? top or bottom, log or tube? still not sure what turbo to use yet. thinkin t3/t4 to4e style 50 trim

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
do more research. you're not even sure which direction you want to go based on the various threads you've started. there is no "best". you need to pick a direction and go that way.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do more research. you're not even sure which direction you want to go based on the various threads you've started. there is no "best". you need to pick a direction and go that way.
i want to keep my a/c that i know and will help me rule out alot of what i cant use, and since no ebay stuff tells u that im tryn to figure it out. cost dictates what I will do outside that. top or bottom mount which retains a/c?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going bottom mount t3/t4 to4e style. wondering can i use my current d16y7 intake mani? im ordering stuff this week, no clue what im going to do for tuning or fuel yet but Ill probably get a emusa turbo and a log mani for now, next pay day ill buy more stuff, or when my tax return comes in. im going all ebay

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
really? you're doing this all wrong bro
i know plenty of people running Chinese turbos and what not without issue.
Ive had a few turbo cars before, i just dont know what fits best. I also dont care so much if something breaks, its simple compared to my day job working on audi and vw and german cars and messed up nissans. I should have know not to ask in a public forum. you guys need to read hotrod magazines ebay turbo builds. some stuff is cheap, but if it works it works, its like nike shoes, your paying for the name.
I just need to pick the best ebay intercooler that will fit good. 27x7x2.5 fmic sound good? next where to get my oil source, a t off the oil pressure sensor, sandwich plate at filter, i dunno yet. hard pipe kit, injectors, fmu, tuning which i will do my self. I have experience with tunerpro and tunercat, but since i wont be burning chips Im not sure how easy obd2 will be

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
i know plenty of people running Chinese turbos and what not without issue.
Ive had a few turbo cars before, i just dont know what fits best. I also dont care so much if something breaks, its simple compared to my day job working on audi and vw and german cars and messed up nissans. I should have know not to ask in a public forum. you guys need to read hotrod magazines ebay turbo builds. some stuff is cheap, but if it works it works, its like nike shoes, your paying for the name.
I just need to pick the best ebay intercooler that will fit good. 27x7x2.5 fmic sound good? next where to get my oil source, a t off the oil pressure sensor, sandwich plate at filter, i dunno yet. hard pipe kit, injectors, fmu, tuning which i will do my self. I have experience with tunerpro and tunercat, but since i wont be burning chips Im not sure how easy obd2 will be

you're planning on making 350hp with a 130 dollar turbo made in china. hot rod magazine uses stuff like power master turbo's they're like 800 dollar turbos and have been in business since before 2004. And i'm talking from personal experience. I have seen "FIRST HAND" these turbos break on more than one occasion. Most recent one was last September, the same style turbo you're looking at now. I just don't get why people don't do it the right way.
I don't take anybody seriously trying to make 350hp on a 138 dollar turbo and an fmu with a sub 2.0 liter engine. i really hope you prove me wrong in all honesy, but i just don't understand why people don't do it correctly the first time. Nobody said spend $1200 dollars but commmon. why didn't you just do a holset turbo. they're 300 bucks in great condition and will get you to your power goal...and they're bulletproof. you're getting good advice from experienced people and suddenly "it was a bad idea to ask on a public forum"? people are trying to look out for you and your investment is all. Btw there are 3 of these turbo that you're looking at sitting in my boys garage that all had premature failure...and none of them made more than 220whp on a b18b before they failed

EDIT: and yes clayton, i was referring mostly to the FMU part! that is the part that will blow your motor apart when it fails.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you're planning on making 350hp with a 130 dollar turbo made in china. hot rod magazine uses stuff like power master turbo's they're like 800 dollar turbos and have been in business since before 2004. And i'm talking from personal experience. I have seen "FIRST HAND" these turbos break on more than one occasion. Most recent one was last September, the same style turbo you're looking at now. I just don't get why people don't do it the right way.
I don't take anybody seriously trying to make 350hp on a 138 dollar turbo and an fmu with a sub 2.0 liter engine. i really hope you prove me wrong in all honesy, but i just don't understand why people don't do it correctly the first time. Nobody said spend $1200 dollars but commmon. why didn't you just do a holset turbo. they're 300 bucks in great condition and will get you to your power goal...and they're bulletproof. you're getting good advice from experienced people and suddenly "it was a bad idea to ask on a public forum"? people are trying to look out for you and your investment is all. Btw there are 3 of these turbo that you're looking at sitting in my boys garage that all had premature failure...and none of them made more than 220whp on a b18b before they failed

EDIT: and yes clayton, i was referring mostly to the FMU part! that is the part that will blow your motor apart when it fails.
i plan on running this thing at 5 psi making maybe 200hp, later i plan on changing things. on stock motor 200hp is all i want to do to be safe

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im in the process of building up a strong 420a motor 2.0 dohc. the d is too small for a holset, how the hell, it would lag forever.and hot rod used cheap no name ebay crap on their ford and gm builds they said only issue was cheap chinese wastegates. fmu or no fmu, stock tune till i have time to mess with tuning. Im boosting this car for fun and not alot of boost and to see if the chinese stuff is bad or not. i have a differant turbo for the eclipse...bigger but it wont be on stock internals either. Im not gunna push the china stuff hard.
anyways what i need is to know what size intercooler i can use more than i need criticism, and i do appreciate you guys lookn out for me but the stuff is already bought, now i need the rest

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
To each his own. To me, it seems worth it to do it all at once. I know me, and I know I am never happy with the amount of power a vehicle makes. It's never going to be enough for me. I think if I had a turbo I could only turn up to 5, I'd kick myself for not getting the one that's slightly more expensive and capable of twice as much. Of course after a month of driving it (and most likely some brake and suspension work) I'll drop a thousand on a stupid turbo and more on more tuning and internals. I need a "new" car.. Anyway that's just me.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To each his own. To me, it seems worth it to do it all at once. I know me, and I know I am never happy with the amount of power a vehicle makes. It's never going to be enough for me. I think if I had a turbo I could only turn up to 5, I'd kick myself for not getting the one that's slightly more expensive and capable of twice as much. Of course after a month of driving it (and most likely some brake and suspension work) I'll drop a thousand on a stupid turbo and more on more tuning and internals. I need a "new" car.. Anyway that's just me.
im the same way but want to tease my self, and knowing im building a much faster/nicer car it will be enough for a week lol, i just dont want to be driving my jeep to work cus i ran too much boost. and im sure the ching chang can push alot more boost than 5 psi lol should i tempt ill fate

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a gt30 35 is probably more suitable than a big holset
way too big

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
a gt30 35 is probably more suitable than a big holset
way too big

switch to a bep housing and you'll be fine.....

all of the people making budget big hp with decent response use them... even on small displacement hondas. and they are bullet proof. there is more than one holset just so you know

more efficient wheel designs than garret in some cases. not everything is about size. look at the wheels and find an appropriate housing.

see what i mean?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
and yes borgwarner with their extended tip technology is awesome. they guy i bought my honda from is going borgwarner twin scroll on his 700hp+ build on s2k

btw i'm not endorsing you get a $1300 turbo from garret either. but a nice turbo with decent waste gate and proper tuning and the rest of the parts are ebay will be fine. but i wouldn't cheap out on turbo or wastegate...and by cheap out i mean ebay brand. you don't want to go through 2-3 turbos in 2-3 months. the downtime and pita status alone make it annoying. and do not use an FMU. that's like going ass to mouth with the local whore unprotected and then letting her give you a snow ball

1 - 20 of 63 Posts