Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...I 've had my 98 Civic LX for about 7 years now and I'm thinking of swapping out my old d16y7 engine for a new engine. The thing is I have a auto tranny which I want to keep so I was not sure what my options were so can someone lead me into the right direction? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, no reason to get a bigger better engine if u want to keep ur old auto trany...

unless you buy a NEW auto... but even then, it wont hold up to too much punishment..

id say just learn to stick shift. its cheaper and works ALOT better.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
well, no reason to get a bigger better engine if u want to keep ur old auto trany...

unless you buy a NEW auto... but even then, it wont hold up to too much punishment..

id say just learn to stick shift. its cheaper and works ALOT better.

your an idiot.

its not that he shouldn't get another engine b/c hes keeping the old tranny auto tranny, you really think a new one is better? like that changes the real reason of why it really doesn't matter? if you want to go faster you can change the tranny to manual and it will be faster for many reasons. if you want to keep the auto transmission thats fine it wont hurt anything, but stock vs stock an auto is slower. heres the cool thing about honda, if I have a d16y7 and want to get a d16z6 but keep transmissions I can if I wanted to go from y7 to y8 I could. as long as you buy another d series engine you can swap in any engine and mate it to your tranny. remember if its d series your good but don't go out and buy a B series engine and think it will mate to your d series tranny cause it won't. well it will but that gets into alot of aftermarket stuff and gets expensive. I suggest buying a y8 and call it a day. if you swap in any other d series theres gonna be some work to it and I'm gonna end up walking you through it. get a y8, a p2e, and learn how to wire up the vtec and you'll be good to go

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your an idiot.

its not that he shouldn't get another engine b/c hes keeping the old tranny auto tranny, you really think a new one is better? like that changes the real reason of why it really doesn't matter? if you want to go faster you can change the tranny to manual and it will be faster for many reasons. if you want to keep the auto transmission thats fine it wont hurt anything, but stock vs stock an auto is slower. heres the cool thing about honda, if I have a d16y7 and want to get a d16z6 but keep transmissions I can if I wanted to go from y7 to y8 I could. as long as you buy another d series engine you can swap in any engine and mate it to your tranny. remember if its d series your good but don't go out and buy a B series engine and think it will mate to your d series tranny cause it won't. well it will but that gets into alot of aftermarket stuff and gets expensive. I suggest buying a y8 and call it a day. if you swap in any other d series theres gonna be some work to it and I'm gonna end up walking you through it. get a y8, a p2e, and learn how to wire up the vtec and you'll be good to go
Ah very helpful thank you. So the D17Y8 should be my choice since it will fit with the current tranny. I know that stick is faster and more fun to drive then an auto tranny however I'm not the only one who drives this car. Thats why I have to keep it auto. Again thanks for the info.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Ah very helpful thank you. So the D17Y8 should be my choice since it will fit with the current tranny. I know that stick is faster and more fun to drive then an auto tranny however I'm not the only one who drives this car. Thats why I have to keep it auto. Again thanks for the info.

get a D16Y8, obd2a p2e ecu, and learn how to wire up the vtec and you'll be good to go

the d17 came in the 01+ years up until they replaced it with the r series econo engine in 06-07. do not get a d17 it will require more work than you need to do. if you get the D16Y8 you can use your existing harness and add in the wires for vtec a very simple job. everything else bolts right in use your same mounts and all. the fastest and easiest way to pull the engine is to remove the axles from tranny, remove battery, battery tray, unplug ecu from inside the car, unbolt the rubber grommet peice around the wires with a 10mm socket then pull the harness out and set it on the engine. unplug power steering sensor plug, battery wires to the fuse box, unbolt all grounds to chassis. undo fuel line. take the power steering off and set it to teh side. if you have ac unbolt it from the bracket and let it hang there. undo radiator hoses. undo shift linkage for the auto tranny. hook up your engine hoist, unbolt all motor and tranny mounts and yank the engine and tranny out at the same time.

after typing that out I didn't realize how much stuff there was until now. I can typically swap an engine in 2 hours start to finish on my car. expect it to take at least 5 hours for you to pull it your first time. then another 5 to put it back in. or have a shop do it for you, I charge $300 bucks in labor to swap an engine. I charge a little more to wire in vtec($75), but i do it right I unravel the wire harness up to the dizzy plug and rewrap it all, I also repin your ecu. expect some shops to charge alot more. if you were close I would offer cause lets face it I like money. but I don't know where you live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOh, good to know. So get the D16Y8, or the 98 EX civic engine. Thats what I thought...I heard its not too difficult of a swap so I may tackle this on my own. For 300 I would have you do it, but Im in Cali and it looks like your in Florida so thats not going to happen. Again, I appreciate the info. This has helped me out alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts